Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little Gardening

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default A little Gardening

Spring has deffinatly arrived in Chicago. Been out working in the yard all day.

Anybody else have gardens they enjoy.

The one thing about home ownership I actually enjoy.

This is just like the bus for me.

THEROPY

Joe,

We need to swap gardening tips. I already have my peas, radishes and lettuce out of the ground. Next weekend I think the tomatoes, beans, peppers, cukes, beets, and some herbs will be going in.

We eat what we grow and try to can tomatoes, beets, carrots, etc.

We have enough black and red rasberries so Di froze enough for about 30 pies last year.

I hate to travel in the summer because of our garden.

Lightbulb A Raspberry Can Be A Rose Of Another Name

Jon and Joe, I too like to garden. Now not near as big as they used to be. Just tomatoes and raspberries. I really enjoy a good tomato and you just can't get them in a store!! (HOT TIP) When we were into breeding and raising Alpacas I had plenty of their manure and Man Was It Good for gardening! Very rich and improved the soil right away, wasn't too hot so you did't have to compost it. If you find any in your area Go For It.
    I find more enjoyment in flower gardening so have gone over to that. Vegetable gardening is too much work (if you are not at it all the time, the weeds take over ). Maybe now that I'm retired I could get back into it, but I doubt it, I want to get out of here and fulltime except for summers at Chautauqua,NY.
    Joe, You made the announcement you were moving to TN. It sounded like, VERY SOON. What happened? Maybe your gardening is for curb appeal to sell the house?? Do you guys wear gloves? Just Kidding.JIM

PS I have about ten big dump truck loads of horse manure from winter(FREE FOR THE TAKING)
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 03-26-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Yes Jim Its that Curb Appeal Thing.

We are digging out ALL our perenials by half and moving them to a temporary location at her sisters house so we can take them with us when we find that new spot in Tenn.. Mabye 60 or 70 plantings.

Critters screw up attempts at vegetable gardens, but ditto the tomatoe comment.

Would you belive that in this day and age, right here in Chicago, 10 min. from our home there is still a farm stand that practices the Honor System! He leaves out bags of fresh tomatoes With the price on the bag and you deposit the loot in a slot in a little wood box

Joe Cannarozzi;Yes Jim Its that Curb Appeal Thing.

We are digging out ALL our perennials by half and moving them to a temporary location at her sisters house so we can take them with us when we find that new spot in Tenn.. Maybe 60 or 70 plantings.

Critters screw up attempts at vegetable gardens, but ditto the tomato comment.

Would you belive that in this day and age, right here in Chicago, 10 min. from our home there is still a farm stand that practices the Honor System! He leaves out bags of fresh tomatoes With the price on the bag and you deposit the loot in a slot in a little wood box

That's quite a thing for Chi Town. It's common around here. We have many Deer that eat everything, even the landscaping shrubs! We live 50 miles from Cleveland and every few tears there are Black Bear sightings, even in this day and age. I just read in the Farm and Dairy news paper that there is an urban Coyote problem in Chicago. They sure are adaptive. Barb has chickens and ducks that free range during the day. Fox, Coyote, Hawks,and Coon get them every now an then. We're not replacing them anymore. JIM

At Mango's we take our gardening seriously.

palm_1995.jpg

palm_2022.jpg

palm1990.jpg
    Last edited by MangoMike; 03-26-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Talking If It's In The Wrong Place It's A Weed

Boy Mike, you sure don't fool around! To share a tip per Jon's suggestion. Don't let the weeds grow so large and you won't need the heavy equipment for removal! Oh by the way, what fertilizer were you using? JIM

Hi Jim,

We're planting again this year the first week in May so we look good for Mom's day.

We use Miracle Gro at least 2x a week.

Plus we plant over a 100 tropicals.

hibuscus2008.jpg

plantNow_2010.jpg

mm
    Last edited by MangoMike; 03-26-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Mango: Are; those guys Boots and Coots staff?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Yes in fact they are Fast Roger.

Senior Board members on a work/trade arrangement with Mango Mike's.

mm
    Last edited by MangoMike; 03-26-2007 at 02:51 PM.