Thread: Powertech 17500 generator - Invertor issue

Default Powertech 17500 generator - Invertor issue

Hello,
    I have a Powertech 17,500 generator. In my coach I have two Trace 4000 invertors. When running my generator and I have a load on one leg that invertor will work perfectly, BUT the other will go in and out of service.
    Mainly this happens when I have one AC on Leg A and not B or vise versa. When I have a load on each leg all seems to work well.
    Thoughts?
    David Thomas
    1998 Featherlight XL

When you have ac power in to the inverters because the generator is running or Shore power for that matter the inverters arent inverting their battery chargers so ones in bulk and ones is float? Is that what you're saying? That's normal. I don't know if I understand the symptom. Is whatever device your powering loosing power and shutting off?

You also specified running generator so are we correct in assuming that this condition doesn't exist when you're on Shore power? If that's the case that would really be something odd beyond my comprehension.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-03-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hey Joe,

There is never an issue when it is on shore power...only when on generator power. When generator power locks on after starting the top green light is on and bulk charge is on. My Trace will both stay in float mode for a while, maybe and hour or less. But when I have a load on just one Trace and not on the other the one that does not have the load will go back to inverter mode, with the yellow light on the bottom....so one inverter is locked on and one not..

Thoughts

David, measure the voltage in both legs when the issue is happening. Given the problem follows the unloaded leg you need to make sure the voltage on one leg is not going too high or low.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

So it's potentially a generator regulator or deeper gen issue? Wasn't that the same issue on Billy's bus when Powertech came out to your house and put a new head on it in your driveway for him?

20200226_131148.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-03-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines