Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Wheels Down Mini Cooper S

Thank you all very much for the great information and the stories. We are now in the process of searching for a Mini.

That's an awesome story Joe, you're right - the making of folklore. Agree with you on all points. I wouldn't warranty it either, but makes one heck of a toad. I love mine and it really will lay it down when asked! Fun car!

I'm a little late responding - sorry. I am a Mini lover. I have towed my 2003 Mini S for roughly 75,000 miles with no problem. I do have to insert and turn the key to release the steering lock then turn the key back to the off position - but you must leave the key in the ignition. Pulling the key will lock the steering. Just to make sure I don't drive off with the steering lock I put a piece of white tape around the top of the steering wheel so that I can see the steering wheel turn in my back-up camera when I turn the coach.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

FWIW, we tow a 2008 Ford Sport Trac which requires the key to be ON while it is being towed. The key has a chip which is detected allowing it to be started. To eliminate any possibility or concern of it being started by someone, I had a copy of the key made WITHOUT the chip. It now allows the the key to be turned ON without the possibility of being started, eliminating theft, and allows the vehicle to have the doors locked while it is being towed. I also have a trickle charge line to prevent the battery being discharged while connected to the coach.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Not sure when they changed em up, but mine is a 2017 and has no steering lock and you don’t have to mess w/ the key at all. Just find neutral and roll -

Not familiar with the steering wheel lock on a Mini but I removed the lock pin from the switch in my 2001 GMC Jimmy and all is well.
    John and Judy Carroll
    1999 XLV Country Coach
    450 GC "Grande Center"
    2001 Jeep XJ, American Racing Mags