Thread: Head light confusion

Default Head light confusion

Previous owner had newer style head lights installed on my 2000 H3-45, they are much brighter and work well until today.
    Noticed passengers side low beam was out.
    When I got home and hosed off the love bugs the head lamp started to work again. Figured no problem, I would just look at the back, check the connections and get the bulb info to order a new one if needed.
    Surprise, found all kind of extra stuff behind the head lamps that I have no idea what they are or what they do. Good news is all connections were tight and head lamp is still working, bad news is, I have no idea how to trouble shoot the head lamp if it goes out again because I have no idea what the extra boxes are behind the lamps.
    Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

That style of headlight sometimes is if they're gapped not perfectly inside their bezels it'll create a real loud trumpeting noise at highway speed. Damnist thing. Senators conversion led me to it when I had one like it.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Looks like they were converted to HID headlights, might be the ballast is failing but first I would verify that you have a good ground. If bad ballast you'll need to research a replacement, here is a link for reference.. https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-...rd-generation/

Thanks for the link Robert
    Reading the link show system is meant for withstand 2400 Hrs of use. Mine are also used as daytime running lights, ouch that really cuts into the 2400 Hrs.
    Have you had much experience with HID lights? Will I be able to mix manufacturers parts?

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

Chuck, HIDs can't technically be used for DRL. They can't meet the required dimming. That's why most use the halogen high beam for DRL. BTW, HID ballast and LEDs don't like the low voltage supplied by DRL function.

I assume your low beams have been modified to stay on with the use of high beams. Otherwise, switching from high beam to HID low beams will have a delay to full bright.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Chuck, I don't have much experience with HID lighting other than installing a kit on a couple of my vehicles in the past. One thing I found out early on is that there is a lot of junk out there sold on Amazon and Ebay. Stick with quality parts and your good, I prefer Denso Ballast as they are OEM for Toyota, Lexus and others with very few reported problems.

Might be a good time to switch to LEDs
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Gil:
    Low beams have been modified to stay on with high beams. HID's are so good you hardly notice the difference with high beams that are still the yellowish color

Robert:
    Thanks for the heads up. Hoping not to have anything to replace, but if I do I will heed your advice and make sure I seek out quality parts.

Les:
    LED's might be something to consider. Any idea how much trouble the change out would be?

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

Chuck, folks have been pleased with JW Speaker LED headlights. I installed ones from IBP Industries. Not quite plug-n-play but very doable. Excellent quality.

IBP

LED Headlights.jpg

IBP LED headlights have the daytime running lights built in to the low beam. I have them wired in to a key on power source. Provides a very updated look.
    Last edited by BadFitter; 05-22-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Quote Originally Posted by BadFitter View Post
    Chuck, folks have been pleased with JW Speaker LED headlights. I installed ones from IBP Industries. Not quite plug-n-play but very doable. Excellent quality.

IBP

LED Headlights.jpg

IBP LED headlights have the daytime running lights built in to the low beam. I have them wired in to a key on power source. Provides a very updated look.
    Very nice Les, that's the way I would go if updating the headlights!