Thread: Storage short term, long term, leaving inverters on?

Default Storage short term, long term, leaving inverters on?

I recently purchased a 1995 Liberty. I had to store it outside until finding indoor storage with 50 amp service. My question is: should I plug into shore power, turn everything off at the panel except for the battery chargers and leave the inverters on or off? Will turning the inverters off prevent the batteries from staying charged. The starter batteries have a charger running thru a 120 volt outlet in the engine compartment so if the inverter is off would that prevent the charger from operating?

Keep at least one inverter on, it's also the charger. Some inverter/chargers will allow you to disable the inverter function. If so, that's a good idea. Otherwise, when power is lost the inverter function will kick in and anything powered by the inverters will drain the house batteries. Also leave the chassis charger on only if it's an intelligent charger. Regardless, turn off the engine compartment 12V and 24V chassis battery switches. This doesn't turn off all power to the chassis batteries, but does do most. If you store the coach there as the humid and heat increase you might want to keep at least one air conditioner left on at a high temperature. You want it to run long enough to keep the humidity down.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I'd like to comment on the tremendous advantage of not only storing the bus inside but the additional benefit of having it in a climate controlled garage.

I just got done with a 97 Liberty and so a 96 chassis. All original suspension and brakes. The 25 yr bold bags I've seen 10 yr old bags that look worse all the time. Prevo puts hose clamps on the plastic air lines and attaches them with filiphead screws directly into the frame and r really difficult to take and put. These backed right out. Every one of the tapered screws holding the drive brake drums in came loose. Had to drill none. The entire chassis was looking very very much younger and that's comparing it to others I work on stored inside, this is a big deal if u can do it. If u keep the humidity down in the garage yer stuff stays darn near perfect indefinitely.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-10-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thank you for your advice. Yes, my coach is stored in a temperature enclosed climate. I agree when something is garage kept even if it isn't climate controlled everything lasts a lot longer.