Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe's Priceless Advice

The Hs got it first. Happened over a few years either front axle could be had same year for a couple years. I never was a big fan. Consider this. A straight axle sits at ride height at about 65 psi. The ifs need 90 before it even begins to come up. What one would be softer??? In defense of IFS the oversize air bag ping tanks probably dampen the higher pressures more than adequately. So why not add them to the straight axles bet I'd be noticable.

As is Difference in ride is undetected by most accept on rough road and i think the straight axles r quieter on rough road. Less parts less money weight is probably close.

Hey Mike and another tidbit. In the entire rest of the universe u have king pins on straight axles and a arms and ball joints on IFS front ends.

Pier in all his wisdom has figured out how to have both at the same time. Prevo IFS also sports king pins along with its a arms. Why would u do that? LOL Im unaware of anything else like it.

Up to 84 the straight axle had 4 airbags those rode even softer but those axles sit under 96in wide chassis only.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-26-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Doesn't really apply here but interesting - saw posted on FB forum awhile ago that passenger/transit shells (Greyhound) kept the straight front axle setup until just a few years ago.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

As stated, it depends on model and use. I think they are still making straight axle coaches. Keep in mind the IFS was not installed to improve ride. It was to increase weight carrying capacity and improve the turn radius.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gill I think the straight axles r all gone. 96 or 97 Sawdust's H is the newest prevo I've ever seen with one. Getting in and out with my Xl was never an issue with the straight axle however overweight motorhomes with 18,000 plus on the steer axles can be an issue.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe, Prevost made X-3 commuter buses, and possible Greyhounds, that are straight axle. I think they still make straight axle coaches. The service manual I pulled was for 2012 model year.

Gil and Durlene

Ok very interesting. I still think the motorhome cassis with them ended in around 96 or 97 but thats only based on my past jobs.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe, on an XL motorhome chassis, Prevost model year 1996 starting with VIN T-5873. Typically sold as a completed 97.

Gil and Durlene