Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Stay-At-Home Affected You?

Hi Gil, Nice looking engine compartment. As far as staying at home; we don't, being in the trucking business. CV has brought us to our knees as 90% of our customers have gone MIA with everyone else. It has allowed us to catch up on truck maintenance & spend more time in the kitchen cooking and in my wood shop. As far as the coach goes the previous owner covered everything before we bought it. He was a meticulous guy! Aside from the previous issues I have posted on POG washing and waxing is about all it needs...until....!

Hello Gil: Would be great to hear more about how you prepped the engine bay, what spray equipment you used etc.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Mark,

I did a few things.

First, I remoced everything that was in the way and most of what was to be painted gray. Then I used an engine cleaner making sure any accumulated grease was broken up. I did that with a few stiff bristle brushes. Then I pressure washed it.

With a clean and dry engine I used a paint prep product that removes wax and grease making sure to use several cleaning cloths.

I then used Scotchbrite pads to rough up the paint and then followed with another wipe down with the paint prep product.

Then it's just a matter of masking what doesn't get painted. I used tape and paper. It was later suggested aluminum foil is better as it is more conformal than paper. That makes sense.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Great thought on the foil. Did you use a commercial spray gun or go with cans?

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Mark, it's a small job. I used rattle cans. The factory color is hard to find. Detroit has it and Florida Detroit in Orlando has this one at less than half price.
    Detroit-Aftermarket-Blue-Spray.jpg
    Last edited by Gil_J; 05-13-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Gil and Durlene

Look at the new clothing trends to help with social distancing dig these hats.

20200516_063631.jpg

Noodle hats!! Those nutty Germans r on to something.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks Gil. Joe, send us a picture of you in one of those hats!

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I sell lot of engine enamels, computers can do funny things reproducing colors but that looks a lot like GM Corporate Blue also known as Pontiac light blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ELucast View Post
    I sell lot of engine enamels, computers can do funny things reproducing colors but that looks a lot like GM Corporate Blue also known as Pontiac light blue.
    GM Corporate Blue was what I was going to buy until I found this at the Detroit dealer. Seeing Detroit Diesel was a GM company, I can see the GM paint being a match.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 05-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Gil and Durlene