Thread: Cooling system

ken&ellen Guest

Default Cooling system

Cooling system. Since I am cleaning up the engine compartment and repainting....I guess I should think about the rubber goods on the cooling. Mine are not cracked or leaking at this time, but I want it to stay that way.
    What is the vendor of choice for these large flexible joints? Are they pre-cut or this item purchased in bulk and cut to fit? Thanks, Ken

Ken,

If you are talking about the blue hoses with the white stripe I have never seen them available at truck parts houses or NAPA. I wish I could find a source because late this summer I have to replace all the black hoses that are of a much less quality, and I would like to install good long lasting hose material such as is found on our engine.

I'll start looking because there is undoubtedly a source. We could probably get that material at DD or Prevost.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Orange color

I am referring to the orange color heavy flexible, approximately 2" in dia., that connect all my nice silver painted copper tubes in the cooling system.
    Ken

What I said above applies also.

The hose you are looking for is blue with a red/orange inside. They are a type of silicone hose and they come in 3' lengths and several different sizes.

You can get them from Detroit Diesel or any truck parts house, but make sure you use the constant torque hose clamps on them (the ones with the spring) and torque them up.

These hoses last forever and a cheaper than the Jon-esk super high dollar hoses that are made of some aramid (sp) fiber.

Ken,

I'm sure orange is OK for a coolant application, but the DD original equipment hose material is the blue, and I think Jerry is right as to the source. And that stuff does seem to last forever.

I have orange for the joints for the pipes to the intercooler, but that is a series 60 and it has an air to air intercooler. (Your 8V92 has a coolant to air intercooler that is internal on your engine) I know Prevost used a very expensive high quality orange hose that was designed for fuel, and that material was used for the hose to the filler neck and between the main and auxiliary tank.

At the POG rally I'll show you mine if you will show me yours.