Thread: Bus ramps

Default Bus ramps

CC49483F-4FC7-4C34-8E81-DFB3C9A95696.jpegAfter some internet research I built a set of ramps. Each ramp started as an 8' 2x12 cut into 48", 32" and 16" pieces. Looks to be perfectly adequate for front. Questions I have are regarding rear.

1) Is it necessary to lift the tag prior to climbing ramps with drive axle? Most every post I found while researching ramp construction mentioned this. Ramps are 4 1/2" high.

2) As 12" wide is not enough for both drives, options are: A) Leave tag down and place ramp under either inner or outer drive tire.
    B) Same but catch the inner and outer edges of both drive tires - doesn't seem like great idea.
    C) Build 4 more ramps for all drive tires and lift tag - seems like best option.
    D) Lifting tag and using ramp under only one drive tire each side probably not an option as that would put 15K lbs on
    each supported drive tire.

Interested in how others are doing this.

Will post a pic of ramps via phone. Handles are an old serpentine belt cut in half.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 04-02-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

It's absolutely necessary you raise the tag before you drive up on those ramps if you're only getting up on them with the drive axle. You'll hyperextend the tag axle and you'll either rip the eyelets out of the shocks or you'll bend the shock post down and or crack the welds for the posts. I've seen all the above. I don't think it's necessary to build another ramp for the inner dual just be sure to put some stands at the body supports when you do it that way just in case you blow that outer dual tire, just to be safe.

So raise the rear left and right all the way up in level low first then raise the tag then pull forward up onto them.

You can also make the ramps longer so the tag in the drive r both up on it both but those would be very heavy or make another pair of ramps for the tag. If you want to get the inner duels supported you don't actually have to build an entire nother ramp just get two squares of wood the same height minus the rap to it and as you drive up with the outer duals the inner duals I'll just come right up on the on the wood your fashion for those.

Or you could lose some of that belly so that you can scoot around under there just by raising it up with level low or do you really need to go up 4 and a 1/2 in cut it in half. Then it wouldn't be necessary to lift the tag that's not enough to hyperextend it
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 04-02-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks Joe. Although maybe not necessary additional ramps under both drives WAYY cheaper and less hassle than having to replace a blown tire due to overload - even if tire is warranted.

Thx again!

Joe if I lose any more belly I'll be sportin a 12 pack instead of a six
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 04-02-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Lift the tag and use the ramps to fully support the one tire. After it's on the ramp lower the coach on jackstands to support the coach.

I would not expect supporting the coach on one rear tire on each side to be detrimental. Consider the pressure when hitting a pothole. Or look at how the coach is supported on roll around lifts where some shops only use 4 lifts.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 04-03-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Here we go again. Get the kerosene soaked rags out.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines