Thread: Buying an older Prevost versus new production RV?

Default Buying an older Prevost versus new production RV?

I'm looking for guidance and opinions regarding my logic on buying an older Prevost versus a newer production RV. My logic is that a Prevost will outlast most other production RV's because of superior build quality? Although I haven't driven a Prevost, I'm assuming the drive quality is superior as well? In conclusion, I'm thinking that I would prefer an older Prevost in the low/mid $100,000 range, plus some work, over a new production RV in the $150,000 to $200,000, plus fixing a lot of stuff under warranty (which would aggravate me more).

I have a friend bringing me his 2000, H3 double slide to see if I want to buy it. It needs the inflatable slide seals replaced and a couple of windows replaced. I would also budget $30,000 to take it to Marathon and have the under carriage (air bags, ball joints, etc.) brought up to snuff.

I'm thinking it would be a good deal to buy it for low to mid $100,000's if in good condition, LESS the estimated cost to bring it up to speed ($30,000)?

I like working on stuff, maintained my 38' Lagoon Sail Catamaran for over a decade. Hopefully a Prevost won't be as much maintenance as a sailboat sitting in salt water.

As someone that came from a 2012 Monaco Dynasty to an 06 Prevost, I heartily recommend this move. There is no comparison. Hire Gil to inspect it first. You can eat up more than $30k depending on what Gil finds.

If you get Gil to inspect it and Joe to do under carriage repairs, you will be thousands ahead.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I came from a 2004 Bluebied Wanderlodge and I concur with the above.
    I knew when I first saw the post that this was going to be interesting and I don't think that I was wrong.

One of the biggest factors for us buying a prevost was the long waits for unprofessional shotty service appointments on other brands. When you get to your appointment then are told yes we have you scheduled to wait in line for the next service bay "that will be avaiable with in the next week or so". AND when you finaly get in they diagnose your problem then order parts that are not avaiable for 4-6 weeks.

Prevost are first and foremost a commercial 54 passenger transportation vehicle, hence we benefit from the national & professionally trained service facility's and personnel. Service and parts are (for the most part) available in one day or overnight. Remember Prevost is for the most part built to serve the commercial industry hence must comply to both Canada and USA department of transportation regulations pertaining to commercial passenger vehicles.

Watch some of the online videos of Bus accidents. Most of the Prevost (usually the charter buses) are pulled back on the road after a roll over and have broken windows and dented/scratched body panels but for the most part are in tact compared to the usual class A motor home that has completely come apart and has nothing left than a shattered shell.

We went from a 2014 Allegro Bus to a 2000 H3. Yes there are maintenance issues that must be caught up and kept up, but parts and service IS available and the safety factor of a Provost is hard to beat.

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

2008 42-foot, quad slide, Beaver to a 1999 non-slide Prevost Country Coach. No regrets!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion