Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prevost Tire Pricing

Gil,

I totally agree with Joe..I am planning on getting these for one reason...so that I don't feel I have to drive all the time. I have years of experience driving Prevost, Bobtail Trucks and know how important it is to always be aware of a front blowout. Never not having two hands on the wheel, firm and in the correct position. It is so easy to drive and control our bus while driving down an interstate, UNTiL there is an issue.

I would like my wife to be able to drive on the interstates (I will take over as we exit) but now I don't feel comfortable. I know she would never be able to control the bus with a front blowout. I hope I can, but who knows in real time.

Joe your comment about the entertainer coach blowout, makes me worry that even I could not control the bus. You are correct the videos show the strength of these additions.

Tires are probably the most critical item regarding safety.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if some trucking and charter companies weren't using them.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

The Tyron bands are solely there to help reduce the likelihood that the tire comes partial off the rim. Thus not that big of a deal with 365s or the new 315s. Their construction let's the thread depart lessening the impact of a tire getting caught up in the suspension.

This product looks like it could be more harm than good. I'd love to see a video of a 18K+ steer axle blowout with one of these. My bet is it cries uncle for the 2 seconds before it disintegrates.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil are all the 315's now Super Single construction, or are the XZA Energy (avail from Prevost) still the standard/older style? And which is better in your opinion (if different)? I too would like to see a video of that Retroband in action-could sure save some damage if it stayed intact (along with safety benefits).

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Hello,

The Retroband https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujVVWz-Wxjo is what I am looking at. It seems incredible.

Good video thx David. My interest in these is probabaly a little oddball to most (get to that in a minute). Current tires on my bus are Michelin XZA Energy 315's with date codes of 2011/2012. I have zero historical info on these tires as far as underinflation etc. They look almost perfect to me. I have never replaced or even considered replacing tires that look this good on anything I've ever owned. I'm obviously ignorant of coaches - been a first time owner now for barely over a year. Overall consensus (with an exception or two) seems to be NO WAY should I run these over 10 yrs. I'm not a paranoid person (more of a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" mentality), but a believer in maintenance for sure.

So another factor comes into play. I want to put current coach tires on some 22.5 Alcoas bought for a 379 Pete I have. Currently it doesn't go anywhere or do anything, and has 24.5's with recapped drives and older steers that look it. So huge improvement (I do need to source two more 315 take offs). Based on experience with automotive tires, most tire shops won't touch anything over 10 yrs - so, might be wise to get this swap done prior to. And have new coach rubber also.

Now as to Retroband. I may be a complete fool, but with those installed on steers, I don't think I'd be too concerned when nearing 10 yrs on tires I purchased new with accompanying history IF they looked as good as these do now. Of course a lot can happen in 10 years (or even less), but still have to live and plan accordingly.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Thanks for posting that Dave that's the mac daddy. I wonder if you could trust Jo scmuck tire shop to put them on correctly could be an issue.

Did you price them Dave how much are they?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-08-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe that's my concern too. One would they do it if I carried those in, and two would they have a clue - maybe if they had done it before. Some research and phone work needed here fo sho.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Gill I think that you have to be willing to sacrifice the possibility of damaging components on the bus to enjoy the benefit of keeping it out of the ditch.

That reminds me when I was chauffeuring around a barrel Rider with a Liberty for the better part of a season and she once told me and I quote, listen here boy if you happen upon some dog or some deer don't you be jacking the wheel upsetin my horse, you run that animal down and we'll worry about the front of the bus later I don't want my horse lame. What a spectacular driving instruction to be given from a woman. I'll never forget it.

Same scenario lesser of 2 evils.

Billy I just was told a price for those things and before I spill it out I'm going to make sure it's right. The price includes installation and I'm not sure just how many authorized installation Center there are nationwide was probably just a handful but I'm going to call there tomorrow and I'm going to find out how much they are and where you can get them installed and the whole schmiel

I'll bet you I could round up six or eight or 10 people on the phone in one afternoon that would be want to try those if the numbers are right.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-08-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Hey Billy,

My tires were 2013 and I replaced late 2019...Mine were like yours, looked perfect, but I tend to worry about things as you and I have discussed. I am looking at just the steers for retro bands even though my tires are new and I have tire monitors and baby them.

I wonder if the retro bands help keep damage to coach in case of a blow out? Anyone have input on that?