Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping New Batteries in the best condition

Default Keeping New Batteries in the best condition

Hello,

I want to keep my new AGM batteries in the best shape possible. Gil on a previous thread you have mentioned after a day of driving if dry camping to run the generator for a couple of hours. I am doing that now and when generator is turned off batteries are at 25.3 volts on my trace 4024 monitors.

What setting should I be putting my auto start to start up? I seems many on the thread do not recommend going below 24 volts...I know my auto start is set a a lot less then that?

Thanks

Check with your battery manufacturer but 24 V is not a bad discharge point. Your manufacturer should be able to provide you with a rate of discharge chart

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

When my 24v bank is charged and rested it is at 26.2, 25.3 is a tic low unless u sill have some loads. The fridge?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

That question doesn't have an easy answer with most autostart systems. There is no ideal voltage to trigger autostart if the batteries are in use. Load affects the voltage.

You can prove this by looking at your house battery voltage when the engine is off and the inverter is on. Note the DC voltage. Turn on a high current device, like an air conditioner. Now note the DC voltage. You will no doubt see a drop in voltage. Okay, you would expect the drop. Now turn the high load appliance off and note the DC voltage. You will no doubt see an increase in voltage. This simple exercise just goes to prove, voltage is not a great AGS trigger.

Older coaches have a single voltage trigger with a single timer. If the voltage drops below X voltages for X time the generator start is triggered. The timer is necessary so large short duration loads, like the microwave, don't trigger the generator start.

Many have Trace 4024 inverters. They have 3 voltage triggers assigned to 3 fixed timers. The default values are reasonable triggers.

New inverters almost all have the ability to trigger the AGS function based on the state of charge of the bank. SoC is the best trigger for both starting and turning off the generator. SoC is unaffected by load and voltage variables. Even though many have updated their inverters, few have added the SoC measuring capability.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

What is your energy budget that you feel need to auto start a generator for?

If it's just for maintenance while the couch is unused then I would suggest adding some solar, of course you could go serious solar and rarely use the generator.

Just went to major city RV show and solar was barely mentioned on the sales floor.

This works with my Magnum 4000/24 inverters

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/battery-monitor-kit

I'll be adding it when I go to Lithium batteries. Should work well with the Magnum auto generator start function.

Magnum-ME-BMK-2.jpg
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Joe,

Yes fridge is always on, I also had misc tvs, some lights, ceiling fan, aqua hot running and misc chargers going. On the way home I had all these things on dry camping. After 15 hours on battery power, the meter red 25 volts left to go. This is so awesome to have brand new batteries.

Thanks

Les, look at the Victron 712, it has blue tooth.

Les, that will work for your inverters well. If you aren't using the Magnum router, you should add it as well. If you're not using it or the SoC unit, your AGS may not work correctly.

The Victron will do you no good, unless you just want to monitor SoC.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion