Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a newbie :)

Default Hello from a newbie :)

Greetings to all! I joined last July and got a warm welcome from Dale but I never got around to introducing myself. I did reply to Dale's email though and my response looks to be an easy way share my current position. I think I'll just copy it here and take the lazy way out. It is a two part reply. I will add this tidbit though. I do tend to "kick tires" (pun intended) for quite sometime before I take a plunge so this is no different.

The email I referred to;

"I don't own a bus or any other RV. I'm here to learn about them and to help me decide if I really want one or not. As with many, I'm trying to evaluate what is best, for me. If I buy a Prevost I will be looking at older coaches in the lower price range below 200K. If I were going to take the plunge today I would likely buy something around 100K then have a reserve for repairs. It's difficult to guess which way I'm better off. Buying something that has already been updated or buying one that needs a lot of TLC. I have ZERO experience working on big trucks/buses but I have a lot of mechanical experience in automotive (mainly old Mustangs) and residential rental property. I've done all my own plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and carpentry/repairs for 30 years or more. I would not get into MAJOR repairs like new engines and transmissions but I would probably do a lot more than average Joe would do.

One of the other reasons I joined was for the possibility of knowing a coaches history simply by having interacted with those who own them via the forums. Also, to help figure out which dealers can be trusted. I would prefer buying a coach from an individual but I'm open to dealers if they have a good reputation. Retail price for a coach that has been taken care of wouldn't be so bad, but retail for one that needs 50k in repairs just to make it road worthy sounds like a nightmare!

I've noticed that a lot of these coaches don't sleep very many. I have five kids. Are any of the converters known more for the "bunkhouse" models?"
    As I've typed this I realize my inspiration to get back on the forums and poke around. Spring fever is here! I'm in Southeast Oklahoma and today the weather is beautiful! Clear skies and 72 degrees!

That's it for now.

Lane

Hello Lane
    I'm for sure not one of the experts here, but there are bunk model coaches out there. Here's one that's currently listed on this website.

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2020Pre...ark051519.html

Generally, there's a rule in the motorcoach community known as "the 2-4-6 rule". "Drinks 6, eats 4 and sleeps 2". You might investigate the possibility of an entertainer coach. I don't know the ins and outs of adapting them to use as personal coaches, but I'm sure that there are those amongst us who do. Congratulations on having a large family that would enjoy the "living the dream" lifestyle together. My best wishes to you in your endeavor.

John Carroll

P.S. Here's another one:

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2006Pre...oss011620.html

Look through the Coaches For Sale section of Prevost Stuff section on the website.
    Last edited by JCarrollJr; 02-17-2020 at 06:38 AM.

20200211_130259.jpg

A $100,000 budget and five kids did you consider picking up a mid-90s 60 series like this and then pulling an Airstream travel trailer it is all still be within your budget.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Lane,
    With 5 children you might want to look at some Star coach’s. They have a bedroom in the rear and bunks in the hallway. An older one will have a lot more miles on it than the typical prevost RV conversion , but that is not always a bad thing. It is better to use them than let them sit around. ( as every mechanic that has worked on mine has told me ) and the companies that own and lease them to entertainers do regular maintenance to keep them out on the road to make them $$. You can always request to have oil samples analyzed to see what kind of shape the engine is in, and they should have maintenance records as well. There are a few Marathons that have a couple bunks in them like the Gagdet Guru’s old coach. Look on Wade Staley’s website in Nashville for entertainer star coach’s and see what he has. Good luck , due diligence is in order on your part as a buyer. They are easy to buy and hard to sell.......

Good suggestion! I've actually considered doing the same thing for races and music festivals.

Thank you John! Likewise, I don't know what would need to be done to an "entertainer coach" to make it suitable but definitely something I will investigate.

Hey Joe Camper! No, I have not considered that idea but it's an interesting thought! I have considered a bunk house/car trailer idea though. Stick all the kids back there and have the bus for myself and the wife! Good chance I'll be towing a 12 passenger van.

Car rentals have gotten so inexpensive and so convenient I don't think I'll ever pull a toad on a tow bar ever again I think if there ever comes the trip we don't hook the trailer and pull it I still won't pull a toad when I get to where I'm going for thirty bucks a day you can rent a car. come on.

Go for the airstream. We have had poggers in the past do this.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Thank you Rocky......I'm off to visit Staley's site.

Colorado bus pulled a class b for a toad but on a tow bar.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens