Thread: New House Batteries are in

Default New House Batteries are in

I just replaced all my house batteries yesterday. This is my first battery buy since I bought my coach. I have a Featherlight 1998 XL with a 8 4D batttery bank.

When I bought my coach two years ago the bank was 1 year old. In it was 8 NAPPA Wet Cell batteries. (NAPA Brand) I knew at the time I needed to replace them with AGMs when they gave out. These lasted three years without any maintenance. Very difficult to add water with out taking them all out.

On my last trip they all just died, so I started the decision process. I found Lifelines AGMs priced at $501 each and went to pick up. When I got the the owner happened to be behind the counter and asked why I needed 8. When I told him it was for a Prevost, he asked if I had Trace inverters. He was great and said I can't in good conscience sell you these. As they are not all from the same batch. This was the first time I had heard the importance of this. After researching this site, it was stressed many times in different threads.
    So to get 8 of the same batch, they would be shipped from the factory and would be now $577.00 with shipping.

My tech mentioned another option and that was the Superstart AGM made by Continental. 1 year replacement, 3 year prorated. Exact specs as Lifeline, 3 pound heavier.

$4616 for lifeline vs $3100.00 for Superstart. I went with the Superstart because of my experience with my NAPA lasting three years (which are inferior batteries and lack of maintaining) I hope to get 5 out of my Superstarts. We will see, and I will keep the forum posted.

Thanks

David Thomas

David, did you not see the Lifeline show special pricing I had going?

I’ve read a lot of discussion about battery brands and cost but I can’t find any discussion on how to physically exchange the batteries. With batteries that weigh over 130 pounds each and limited space how do you physically handle the batteries? Do you call the same guys you call when it’s time to move the gun safe?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by MJ243; 02-15-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Hello,

My NAPA wet cells were easy for me to handle my self. Probably 65 lbs. BUT the AGMs I put in were 135 each. No way I could do this my self. A helper, one on each handle made it easy manage.

I just installed 8 4D AGMs on my 1998 Featherlight and really keeping an eye on how many hours I get on my coach without auto start gettng the generator going.

Batteries were fully charged from shore at my home

Drove 7 hours to a walmart

Turned of engine and went to invertor power - 5 pm - Battery actual was 25.3

Used coach with fridge, light, misc items like coffee pot, TVs, water pump, Aqua hot and other misc

Now it is 8 am (15 hours later) and battery actual is at 24.5. My auto start kicks on at 22.2 so I a far from that

In a couple of days, I am going to need AC so I am curious how long I get with ACs going.

Would love to hear from others on their experience.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dthomas9572; 02-16-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Battery exchange of 4D or 8D batteries can be a challenge. In some locations it's hard to get 2 people in the confined space. I've heard of motorcycle lifts, platform lifts, and home made right height platforms being used.

Ultimately, if you can get 2 people or a big strong kid, you're better off.

Where I moved my coach's house batteries to and how they are installed I can easily change my 4D batteries myself. The hardest I've seen are the ones mounted on a sloped rack just behind the the tag axle. They are both confined and require wiring while moving.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion