Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Cruise air use

Default Need advice on Cruise air use

Hello,

I have a 1998 Featherlight with 3 Cruise Airs. The front two work perfectly and my rear has a freon leak I am tracing down as soon as we get warmer weather.

I park my bus in my driveway and last summer I would keep two of the three units running at 78 degrees to maintain a temperature to protect the cabinets and interior.

Would I be prudent for me to only use my cruise airs when I am traveling. I am thinking about buying a couple of portable AC and vent them through windows so that I would not have the wear and tear on the cruise airs.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

I have a 1997 liberty coach with three cruiseair units. I leave all three units running set at about 75 to 78° as well. I thought about getting portable air conditioning units, but many of them have to be emptied on a regular basis in order to keep them running, or have a condensate drain close by. I thought about leaving the drain plug open and letting it in my shower, but a single unit does not have enough output to cool the bus. If you ask 10 different people, you will probably get 10 different answers on what they feel may be the best scenario.

In my opinion, I like to run the units to keep Freon flowing through the units, and help to ensure that seals don’t dry out due to lack of use. With that being said, you are using the compressor and the fans, so they could of course fail at any point.

Hi Scott,

I do use my bus on a regular basis at least every two weeks for a few hundred miles and a few days. I have come to realize that getting parts for 20 year old units is pretty impossible. I was thinking two of these.

Whynter ARC-14SH 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner and Heater, Dehumidifier, Fan with Activated Carbon Filter plus Storage bag for Rooms up to 500 sq ft

These are very highly rated and about 450 dollars each. I was thinking one in the bedroom venting out window and hose draining into the shower. And one in the kitchen area venting outside with hose draining into sink.

It seems two should do the job and would save wear and tear on the cruiseairs. Please others weigh in on this..

Thoughts

I only keep one roof air on. My goal is keep the humidity down and less important to me is keeping the temperature to 85 or less. Humidity control is important to protect from mold and to keep laminates dry and the adhesives working.

If you want to save some where and tear on your in use air conditioners, the portable unit you referenced looks to be a good answer. I'd look at the possibility of venting through the dryer vent if venting is really necessary. None of the converter installed systems vent to the outside atmosphere.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I agree those units look decent and 2 should do the trick. A single dehumidifier with the water pump would also work if your not interested in the climate control aspect but just the humidity as Gil said.

All about preference, and no wrong answers ��.

As far as parts, they are very easily obtained, and fairly reasonable in Virginia from AAP. I drove my coach down there last year and had all three serviced and had some great conversation with the staff. I’d be happy to share my experience and tips they shared with you.

David I am in the camp of only using Cruisairs while we are using the bus, not stored. This is what I did last summer. This unit has two condensate drains with caps, but under normal use it evaporates the condensate using hot exhausted air. I at first tried the shower using roof fan vent, but driver’s window worked way better. Ran all summer, no condensate buildup in tanks. 12K BTU I think and was about $450 Walmart online. 792922D6-3BC5-4F1A-A276-80D16869511E.jpg

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Billy,

I'd be curious how evaporating the condensation does anything to control humidity? Maybe, you just live in a low humidity area. If FL that wouldn't seem like a good option, unless the condensation was dumped.

Gil and Durlene

Gil,

When I bought my coach I purchased a dehumidifier unit. I keep it in the cabinet that used to have a trash compactor. Fits perfectly and has power already there.. In the summer I pretty much run it every day. It has a control function to keep humidity at whatever you set it at. It turns off automatically when water tank is full. Reality is every morning it is full and I just dump it in sink and keep it running. This winter I run it every once in a while, but is usually dry as a bone.

Billy I know your coach in in the shade. Mine is not. Does one unit keep your bus cool? What is your target temp? I plan on making a plywood (same exact size as the Prevost window screens) to vent and keep insects out.

Thanks

Thanks

Gil the condensate exhausts with heated air. I do realize it pulls in same amount of outside air as is exhausted. Likely lower humidity tho than what is exhausted (somewhat).

David I set it at 75 and it keeps it pretty close. I’ve seen 126 temp at truss level 12’ so it does have to work.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 02-01-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Oh, the hot air is exhausted outside the coach.

Gil and Durlene