Thread: Cruise Air Freon Leak

Default Cruise Air Freon Leak

Hello,

I own a 1998 Featherlight coach which has three Cruise Air Units. The front two work great but my bedroom unit has a freon leak. When it is filled it will cool for for a trip, but when it sits for a while the next time I use it the unit will not cool.

My shop has put dye in it and seems to not be able to find a visible leak. My wife and I really like a cool sleeping situation so this is a priority for me to get it up and repaired.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I know these are not made anymore, but is there a comparable unit to replace this with? Does anyone specialize in repairs of these units?

Thanks as always!!

To inspect the system for leaks, a A/C guy must use his special light to look for the fluorescing die that was put into your system.

He will have to look at entire system, every inch of pipe INCLUDING all of the parts inside the condenser ( the big box in your basement ) and the evaporator ( the part that gets cold ).

In order to look inside the evaporator and condenser they pretty much have to be removed from the coach and opened up.

If you go this far, make sure your A/C guy cleans the condenser and evaporator ( no matter how it looks ) and make sure the pipes inside the condenser are insulated very well.

I have all 4 of my CA's out of my bus right now. I am making some modifications to make my units work in HOT weather. ( the reason I have AC )

Good Luck

Rick
    Last edited by MDIGUY; 01-13-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    2000 Prevost Liberty H3-45 Hamden Edtion

If you find yourself near Florida, you should call Donnie Myers. He and his crew are probably the best at understanding how the lines were routed. Donnie was a HVAC guy and knows the technology and Cruiseairs well.

AAP in VA may be another option. They are the supplier of Cruiseair systems and parts. If the leak is at the inside or outside unit they should be able to help.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

The fittings along with the line need to be insulated with the black tar insulator. If u miss any of that exposed line going to the evaporator the spots will swet and plenty and rot out any wood in the neighborhood in a hurry.

Replacing a cruise air with something entirely different has been suggested many times attempted only a few times. I'd really enjoy seeing a really good alternative done right. Until I do I would think not but that's just me.

U could isolate the condenser and see if it holds vacuum in the bus and u could pull a vac on the evap with lines but if that didn't hold u would have to dig deeper.

Donny could probably help u with the correct method to pull the evap in the bedroom and help tremendously the steps and in the correct order
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-13-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hello,

I went onto the AAP website and they said they are still providing the Cruise Air Split system...would this be a viable replacement for me?

Thanks

First step, identify the leak. May not need anything further
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines