Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for house batteries need advice

Sorry Joe, I assumed your question was for FLA, not AGM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I expect these to be made in China. At $349 you might wonder if these are a you get what you pay for product.

https://www.apexbattery.com/trojan-8...xoCO2cQAvD_BwE

Gil and Durlene

You get what you pay for, 12 month warranty and their own documentation states they should last generally for 36 months.

Buy American, buy Lifeline... I’ve never replaced a 10 year old Apex Chinese battery. I have replaced several 8 & 10 year old Lifelines that were still working, but at end of life.

I use Deka. Liberty put Deka in right up until they went to Lithium ion.

Mine were hand me downs given to me by jack 14r when he got his last Liberty, he is a lifeline guy too, as many others.

I've had these used Deka for over 3 years now making them at least 5 or 6 years old. I have countless deep cycles on them. When they get to float I can completely shut off the chargers to them when stored and they will rest at 13.2 till hell freezes over.

I have a customer in Crosby Texas. A you g man that goes by the name of Wilton. He has owned 15 professionally converted prevo over the years, many Libertys. He swears by them.

This conversation on another thread about reducing a battery bank for lack of need.

The lions share of prevo motorhomes r from pole to pole not boondocking and relying on the battery bank.

Even so I think it is bad stuartship to reduce the size of the battery bank thats wrong on a few different levels in my opinion. For owners who fit this description u folks should consider using Deka it's a great alternative to reducing costs by reducing the size of the bank on a bus that u almost never use the inverter unless u r driving. The difference for a bank of 8 is approximately 4g

The guys who use the lifelines for there extended preformance because of the nessessity do It with good reason. Those owners r a very small fraction of the community.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-16-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe, are the batteries that Liberty was using gel and not AGM?

Gil and Durlene

If u have a coach that goes pole to pole does it matter enough?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Liberty uses Deka Gel for their non LI replacement. I have nothing against DEKA, if you like them buy them. The price is pretty close to Lifelines these days, but you get a 12 month warranty instead of 5 years with Lifeline. Just compare apples to apples and make your choice. I sell many more flag post than automotive and I haven’t seen a Deka flag post. Look who the Bus conversion AGM choice is, Lifeline.

PS - Special pricing coming for the Prevost Show, stay tuned.
    Last edited by truk4u; 01-16-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Properly charged and maintained quality AGM batteries used pole to pole should last well north of 7 years with 10 years not unheard of.

The best way to save money on house batteries is to not throw them away before their time.

Tom, if you use your buddy's 5 year take-outs, you'll never have to buy batteries ;-)

Gil and Durlene

I found Deka 8D for 340 bucks a piece. What do Lifelines cost?

Am I wrong to think Deka verses lifeline instead of reducing the number of house batteries is a better alternative to reducing cost for those who dont power from inverters for extended periods?

I think now that plastic class A pushers have gotten so pricey that many who r unfamiliar with the costs of maintaining a prevo buy one instead only to find out after the purchase what it costs to operate and maintain one.

I think that group is here participating and growing and it is those folks I'm trying to help.

Just plain Jeff once defined that group insultingly as the crumb catchers. I never forgot that term because I am one myself.

Gill funny your comment to Tom about using the used batts. When I still had my XL I never bought tires for it not a single one. They were all tires others were throwing away. Never had a blow out.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-17-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe - Please share the 340.00 Deka 8A8D AGM source, folks will want to jump on that price. I don’t see anything much less than 659.00, my Lifeline 8DA is 645.00.

Gil - I can hook you up for the take outs