Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Registration and Plates

Default Colorado Registration and Plates

Been on POG since April and this is my first post. We're looking at several Coaches and hope to purchase one this year. We're also looking at relocating to Colorado. Can anyone give me an idea on how to figure out what it will cost to register and plate an older 2003-2007 Coach?
    We had a Country Coach Affinity and lived in Michigan. When I went to register it and purchase plates (had already bought it and drove it back to Michigan), when they came with the annual cost of $1700.00 a year I almost fell over. Plus I had to pay first time sales tax of 6% again I had plate shock. There was ways I learned around it but never felt comfortable doing it. We moved to Florida and that problem was eliminated.
    Michigan took 80% of the MSRP and did the calculations from that as a base price. It looks like Colorado does something similar. Yet, I can't figure it all out.

Anyone on POG live in Colorado that could give me an idea on how to figure it out? I know they go by price, weight and also emission testing in some counties.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure how plates yearly are figured out but i do believe it is based on age and weight.. Charge sales tax on your reported purchase price, percentage rate depending on the county you give in your registration address- varies from about 4 percent exceeding 7 percent. Diesel emissions is $100 for a yearly test. Required in the "front range " counties

Quote Originally Posted by drivfour View Post
    Not sure how plates yearly are figured out but i do believe it is based on age and weight.. Charge sales tax on your reported purchase price, percentage rate depending on the county you give in your registration address- varies from about 4 percent exceeding 7 percent. Diesel emissions is $100 for a yearly test. Required in the "front range " counties
    I've been attempting to understand the laws. Looks like they take the MSRP no matter how old then use that number or 85% of it, then
    • First year — 2.1%
    • Second year — 1.5%
    • Third year — 1.2%
    • Fourth year — .9%
    • Fifth through ninth year — .45%
    • 10th year and beyond — .45% or $3, whichever is greater

If that is each year we won't be moving to Colorado. I thought Michigan was bad.
    Thanks for the reply.

Most personal property tax states will kill high dollar vehicle owners. Colorado appears to have such tax they just call it an Ownership Tax. Some states have a cap or limit on high dollar assets. it appears that in CO you have to ask that question of the tax assessor for the county you will live in. I'd also ask how they establish MSRP. There is not a book to look in to determine what the MSRP was let alone what the vehicle initially sold for. There seems like there must be an exception for RVs given a typical RV sells for 30+% less than MSRP. I can't imagine CO taxpayers rolling over on being taxed on an artificially high value. Frankly, that doesn't even seem legal to be taxed above fair market value.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

You're right, need to contact a tax consultant. It is real confusing, started looking at New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. Wyoming looks almost as bad, along with Colorado, California, and Minnesota. They have telephone numbers to report folks living in the area with out of State plates. They arrested 122 folks in Colorado charging them with felonies for evading taxes. These were folks with the less expensive RV's too. They also arrested 22 with high end Coaches. They collected 2.7 Million on the 122 and 1.2 million on the other 22. That's just Colorado, Minnesota did the same as did Wyoming.
    Reading the law if you are there for over 30 days you have to register the Coach, wonder what Camp Hosts do? Also owning a slab in Breckenridge and coming for a couple of months wonder what they do. I'll ask my neighbors they have one there and see what they did. Sure seems unfair!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxsboat View Post
    You're right, need to contact a tax consultant. It is real confusing, started looking at New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. Wyoming looks almost as bad, along with Colorado, California, and Minnesota. They have telephone numbers to report folks living in the area with out of State plates. They arrested 122 folks in Colorado charging them with felonies for evading taxes. These were folks with the less expensive RV's too. They also arrested 22 with high end Coaches. They collected 2.7 Million on the 122 and 1.2 million on the other 22. That's just Colorado, Minnesota did the same as did Wyoming.
    Reading the law if you are there for over 30 days you have to register the Coach, wonder what Camp Hosts do? Also owning a slab in Breckenridge and coming for a couple of months wonder what they do. I'll ask my neighbors they have one there and see what they did. Sure seems unfair!
    Utah is $360.00 annually (interesting, they use to use MSRP for taxes, stopped last year). Wyoming is $3700.00 a year. Tried a CPA but she said she really didn’t know the ins and outs but said it was very complicated. Referred me to a small county, they wouldn’t do the math. Directed me to DMV estimator. That shows $260 for registration but doesn’t calculate annual use tax, best I could come up with guesstimates is around $3800 annually. I will be out there in late Spring will take all the information to the DMV and find out exactly. Plus family is trying to find out true numbers.

Last one: New Mexico is $140 - $160 total per year.

Tennessee, Cumberland County, City of Crossville: $32.64
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Quote Originally Posted by BadFitter View Post
    Tennessee, Cumberland County, City of Crossville: $32.64
    No sales/use tax.

Gil and Durlene

Florida
    6-7% sales/use tax (no use tax for new residents that have owned the vehicle for at least six months.

$200 approximate one time tag fee

$90 approximate annual registration fee.

Gil and Durlene