Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Fittings, Compression / Push to Connect

Default Air Fittings, Compression / Push to Connect

I have a few air fittings in the auxiliary air systems that need to be replaced. I went to Prevost to buy some and they said to use compression fittings from the hardware store. DOT approved push to connect fittings are not that expensive and would seem to be easier to use.

Any thoughts on using one or the other?

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Also for the tubing to accessories like the belt tensioning mini bags, etc. should we be using DOT approved tubing or can we use any industrial tubing with the proper pressure rating?

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

DoT fittings and hose is only required on the braking system. A catastrophic failure on the aux side can't totally deplete the braking air. this is the primary function of the protection valve.

With that said, why not use all DoT stuff? The cost is about the same and your spares will all be the same.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks Gil. That is what I was thinking. Any thoughts on compression vs push to connect fittings? I am leaning toward the DOT push to connect ... that may have been part of what you were saying above... I was just surprised that the Prevost parts tech in Fort Worth suggested the hardware store compression fittings.

Thanks again.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Compression fittings are cheaper and less susceptible to leaking over time from hoses that place a strain on the connector. Make sure you use a tubing insert. All DoT fittings for plastic tubing will come with them.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Awesome. Thanks Gil.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

If u call me I'll go through exactly what u need in terms of sizes and I'll send u the group and they will all be parker.

If u r unsure of sizes u can text me pictures.

Get a list started. Let me help u.

Absolutely do not buy anything but parker.

Some of the stuff in home Depot and Lowe's r flat out chincy. Fleetpride in OK City recently put some "parker type" Chinese stuff in my hands. In the past they sold parker dont know if it was a local phenomenon or not.

When buying a fitting if it is not marked multiple times with a p.p.p.And parker dont put it on your bus.

The Chinese look alike squeal like a pig tightening up some dont ever seal and I've snapped one trying to tighten away bubbles. I have never snapped a parker ever.

That line, any of them, in the engine room get HOT. Lots of times they put braided steel line in there. Use the same that's used on the rest of the bus and anything in the engine bay if not braided covering it with black plastic wire loom protector to insulate it some.

Give me the line size I'll send u that too.

The small black is 1/4in.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-24-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe thank you very much for recommending the Parker fittings. I picked some up and some line from my local Parker dealer and you’re right those fittings are really robust.

Thanks again. If you’re ever in Dallas Fort Worth let me know I’ll buy your beer

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Ill be back in Texas and Oklahoma in March and April.

Flower Mound and Boyde r gonna be the 2 buses closest to u.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Looking forward to it

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament