Thread: Installing an exhaust fan?

Default Installing an exhaust fan?

Has anyone installed an exhaust fan in the roof of a coach? I've purchased a 14"x14" exhaust fan. I already have air conditioners in both hatches; so I'm going to cut a new hole for the exhaust fan. This is a 1986 Le Mirage.

One thing you need to be cautious of is putting the proper framing in. Meaning connecting fan framing to existing roof bows in coach. If you do not, you take the risk of new fan vibrating from road abuse over the years and causing cracks in roof. I have seen it happen.

Make you know where the structural members are before you cut. The parts manual helps show where the structure is.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

It's an 86. The rivit lines that's were u go. If it's just a roof vent and not an AC U could put it anywhere the spots between the framing will still be more than rigid enough to support it.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

That's a good point. You say the parts manual has schematic of roof structure?

Are you saying the rivets mark the ribs and to put it in between?

Still trying to figure out the posting but thanks for input. Yes, it's not ac. So are you saying cut the hole between rivet lines?

Yes the parts manual shows the framework of the chassis. I've never looked for a pre-90s parts manual, so I hope they are there.

Joe is correct that the rivet line shows where side to side structure is. It won't show front to rear structure, if there is any in that area.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

There won't be front to rear structure. I put a roof air on a mid 90s and jumped through hoops to add the additional structure to complete the opening only to remove a converter installed roof air on a later repair to find the converter did not. The ac only relied on the existing framing to carry the weight. That's why I suggest just a vent can probably safely be put anywhere. Wasn't ignoring u didn't see this, sorry.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines