Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member w/ title question -

Default New member w/ title question -

Hello Everyone,
    I’m not an owner (this week). I am headed to Florida from Texas to view yet another Country Coach this coming Monday and to say I’m excited is an understatement . It’s possible that after inspection I do the deed. My question (one of a thousand) is the bus is currently tagged w/ Montana plates. Is the purchase from a Montana LLC an issue on the purchase side and being from Texas, should i consider the same scenario for myself on the buy side? I have read about many of the concerns, but i sure see a lot of buses and toads tagged Montana. Many Thanks -

Actually it's very easy. We sell coaches registered in Montana all the time and with my salesman being from Texas, he is very good at getting title transferred. Florida reciprocates with Texas so you will pay sales tax (if purchasing from a dealer) in Florida and will be credited when you register in Texas. There is a form you can fill out that shows you took delivery outside of Florida and the dealer does not have to collect the tax. If you need assistance feel free to call and ask for Floyd and he will be more than happy to assist. Donnie Myers Luxury Coach 407-323-3267

BTW, I strongly advise against the Montana LLC route. The savings in tax sometimes does not out weigh your exposure with insurance in the event of a fatal accident. The states are getting wise to the Montana registration scheme. You would be better to register the tow car or trailer in Montana as well to avoid the flags when getting stopped for some reason. When you have a drivers license from one state, trailer or tow car licensed in a different state than the coach, it throws flags. Many customers have been re-registering their coaches in their home state or buying lots in Florida if they are in a high tax state.
    Last edited by Donnie Myers; 10-26-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Thank you for the reply Donnie - Tax in TX is 6.25%, but you mentioned having property in Florida. I do own a couple of RV lots in Destin, wonder if that could be beneficial to me? I’ve asked my insurance agent and he says as long as I have insured like the rest of my vehicles (same county) they didn’t care what plates i carry on the bus. Really appreciate your response, I may drop by your place Monday.

Your Texas tax is in line with our tax so no benefit there. I have seen a case in which having the LLC in Montana was train wreck after a pretty bad accident. Stop in and hit the “call” button on the gate and tell my wife (or Debbie in case wife not here lol) you are here to see me or Floyd. The gates are eclectic and stay closed all day for security.

[QUOTE=Dockholiday;103156]Thank you for the reply Donnie - Tax in TX is 6.25%, but you mentioned having property in Florida. I do own a couple of RV lots in Destin, wonder if that could be beneficial to me? I’ve asked my insurance agent and he says as long as I have insured like the rest of my vehicles (same county) they didn’t care what plates i carry on the bus. Really appreciate your response, I may drop by your place Monday.[/QUO

While I'm not a tax expert, I'm to understand that some of the RV resorts have lots that fall under Florida Homestead laws that simplifies State residency. In an interview I did with the owners of Thornton Creek I learned those resort lots can be homesteaded.

I live in Texas and have owned 4 motor homes.I did the Montana LLC on 2 coaches and paid the sales taxes for Texas and county on the other 2. Texas is cracking down on the Montana LLC plates if your residence is in Texas. The fines are steep and there is interest tagged on to the fine. If you go with the Montana LLC get your tow vehicle registered in Montana. The difference between tags is a tip off for the DPS in Texas. Good luck and good hunting.
    We met Floyd at Donnie Myers in August. He is originally from Ft. Worth. You will like your visit to Donnie Myers. Good facility, plenty of inventory, and good people. Enjoy your visit.

Reese
    Last edited by rcantrell52; 10-26-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Your FL RV lots may not qualify for residency. This will be dependent of how the resort was zoned. Many don't allow full year use, at least that's the rules on paper.

You should talk to an attorney with respect to a Montana LLC. Besides the obvious tax questions you will want to make sure the coach, as a corporate asset, doesn't require it to operate as a commercial vehicle. That would be a show stopper.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Great info - think I’ll be staying on the up and up! Thanks!

Yes sir - as long as I can do the purchase w/o issue from an LLC to myself and wife - think we can make it work.

And you are right - the lots do not allow owners to stay year round.