Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Trivia Question

Default Chassis Trivia Question

What year did prevo enlarge the front wheel well sufficiantly enough to easily take and put 365s?

I know it was after 02 but before 08

How many have ever mentioned this I've never seen it discussed. This was a MACDADDY improvement for guys like me. Nobody noticed. Remember a recent post where I suggested they do this to fit 400 series super singles? Why not do it more, nobody seemed to notice they already enlarged the opening once already.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

365 wheels were factory installed 2003 mid to late year on the H-3. I think the X-II may have been just a bit earlier. But that's not really your question. I've seen late model XLs with 365 steers. They did require the turn limits to be adjusted.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Not on this 07 I'm under right now, pull um straight off with room to spare. For example I know Roger Fosters old CC XLII DS that's like an 02 it's in Texas, another one of mine, u gotta finagle those off. I think it was changed to 365 not factory.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-21-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20191021_114821.jpg

20191021_114758.jpg

Here's another one. Look at the way they r clamping the swey bar inside the inner bushing on this 07. Its clamped to the bar alongside the rubber so it can't escape.

20191017_101133.jpg

Well that's because on prior years they probably saw this going on. I've seen it a few times now on late 90s early 2000s. Wonder if there's a service bulletin on this?? Its an easy fix.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-21-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20191021_160404.jpg

Oh on a side note. I've come up with a fitting name for this style wheel jewelry. From this day on it will now be referred to as overtime wheel chrome.

Whadaya think? It fits, no pun intended.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Yea, Roger's old CC came equipped with truck tires. I think they were 11Rs. I'm not sure if CC did that or CC had Prevost do it.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I'm gonna have to take a tape measure to this fender and an 02 see what they did.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I have an 01 and it has 365's. They fit. Mostly. Almost always...
    My issue is that I have to wait a long time for the air to come up to proper ride height. Any early departure results in scraping noises, mostly from the mud flaps dragging. But once fully inflated I don't have issues with the 365's.
    I don't know if they were original or an upgrade. From this thread it sounds like my 365's were an upgrade.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Maybe i can help u with that. Where does the brake tank pressures build to, exactly, do u know? Do they top out at 120 exactly or do they go higher?

I'm not sure if there was any clearance issues on the upgrade on the Hs they maybe had a bigger wheelwell as was. It was the xls that get changed to 365 those chassis, those front wheel wells r tight tight tight with 365s.

Back to front suspension and air pressures. The 07 XLII DS chassis I'm currently rubbing on, it's set at 135psi and I didn't put it there someone else did imagine that. It Needs it every bit of it.

Consider this.

On this DS 07 but really any DS with a heavier front axle If I get the air pressure down by pumping the brakes to get the compressor pumping on this chassis and at low idle I stay on the up button in the front position in level low and hold it till the aux air pressure gauge hits 120 exactly then stop the front of the bus is barley at ride height. If i repeat the process but stay on the up button till the air dryer sneezes at 135 the front end is 3 or 4 in up above ride height.

There also is the possibility the ride height is misadjusted . Could also be if u have blown front swey bar bushings the ride height valve linkage is mounted to the swey bar on the steer axle and if the bushings r completely blown out, and I've seen that plenty, then the ride height will drop and a lot.

Also try this, do not use high idle when airing up. Then after it has achieved max pressure and the dryer sneezes go take a measurement somewhere on the front end to the ground . Then pump the brakes down to below 90 to get the compressor pumping again and in low idle again let the pressure build to max till the air dryer discharges again. Maybe just for testing do this a third time then go back and measure again. Not in level low, in driving mode u r doing this test. If the problem is a marginal pressure cut off setting the height in front could over time creep up over time. Others have had similar complaints and performance. Initally first light fronts low few hrs down the road everything's higher. Marginal max setting. If this proves true and it's not the height adjustment or the swey bar bushings, until u get it corrected just cycle the air compressor like this first thing few times before u roll and yer golden.

135 is as high as I'd ever set one but even going up 5 psi to 125 or 130 often generates great results when u r experiencing this situation.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-22-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Brake tank pressure builds to 120+. Sometimes when driving i notice it more around 125+, then it settles down.
    But I may be able to answer my own mystery. 2 weeks ago I learned that I had a bad leak in the braided air supply line coming out of the compressor on the engine. I'm working to get that replaced, not as easy as I would think. But given the loss rate when the compressor is running, i'm excited to see how much faster it comes up to pressure when I get that leak fixed. I'm not scheduled to go anywhere until December, so I have some time to deal with it. I'm currently in Indio, CA. for the winter. I had a guy in Beumont, CA who was going to fix it, but I've not heard back from him in a week. He was going to have a shop build a custom air line as Prevost seemed reluctant to send him the "only one in the US", located in Tennessee. This is a braided line running from the compressor to an air dryer (?) just above the drive axle. About 15' (?) in length.
    Once I get this leak fixed, i definitely want to explore your theories and revisit this.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/