Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Docking lights will not go off

That's not what I expected to see. Usually there is only 1 switch a 3 position. Middle off,up for cornering, down docking.

When it's as I described the only time one side or the other come on independently is when the switch is in cornering. When it is, the lights r hooked to the steering wheel and when u go into a turn only the lights on the side u r turning to go on and off with the turn of the wheel. When u move the switch down to docking lights both sides lights up.

Yours should be an easier diagnosis. Either yer switch is bad or its controlled by a relay that's stuck. I can't recall ever seeing the cornering docking switch without the cornering feature. Uncommon that u dont have cornering lights on that chassis??? Could they be automatic and constant. Turn the bus on and turn the wheel to the opposite side and see if those light up by themselves.

I would guess the bus came from prevo as I described and Marathon changed it to what u have.

Go in the steering bay under the driver see if there r any limit switches hooked on the drag link.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-06-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Joe I have two on/off switches for docking lights exactly as pictured.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Gill that says cornering NOT docking on your image.

Then he does not have relays 62 and 63.

Ok Billy so u do not have cornering lights?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Nope. Nothing attached to drag link either - besides a rubber boot some Cheekaago guy replaced.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Well that means 2 things. First as it now turns out your bus is not perfect. I knew it. U dont have cornering lights, that's it.

Second, that stinks it's a great feature. Wonder why they would pull that??

Back to the problem at hand.

I see no circuit for docking OR cornering lights on his chassis schematics. Nor does he have relay 62 and 63. Go to the Marathon schematics to see if there is a page on DC circuit docking lights?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Hello all and sorry for the delay. First I have to give a big, big thank you to Flatbroke for getting me this close. Thank you!!

I will attempt to attach some pictures that will help with this.
    92B79AB9-31FB-4D9E-9295-3CC92C3AE709.jpeg
    Bay 2, ceiling, almost center for me but Flatbroke’s is a little different. Take this cover off.
    89090908-8AB8-412F-B75B-4CB70E776D13.jpeg
    R7 Techlon 5 channel relay node. Take this cover off.
    D54A4CA1-3D1E-46C3-A747-48750EFDA8FC.jpeg
    Under the R7 cover. Pulling the fuse makes the docking lights go out. But the red light stays on. Tapping on the white relay did not work. I tried to pull the white relay from the circuit board but it will not detach. Just to make sure it is not the switch I removed the switch assembly from the dash and pulled all the wires from the corresponding switch with no change.

Does anyone know if the white relay comes out of the circuit board?

Thank again to Flatbroke or I would never have found this.
    Mark

I don't have it handy, but believe the Techlon developer's contact info has been shared before. He's in PA and can answer questions and repair Techlon products.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Joe.........but I DO have cornering lights........just manually controlled with rocker switch(es) on dash - with no self-cancelling feature. On a serious note are you guys saying this would have been a standard feature from Prevo, and that Marathon for some strange reason eliminated/modified it to allow for switched "docking" lights? As I've never had anything equipped with "cornering lights" I don't feel I've missed anything.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40