Thread: Front end noise Have

Default Front end noise Have

Have a squeaking/knocking noise coming from the passengers steer wheel every time I go over a bridge joint or heavy rut in the road. Only happens on highways (higher speeds). Seams to happen more on straight away sorry left curves, of noticeable on right curves. Also got worse as day went on BUT stopped and took on 150 of fuel (topped off) and squick/knocking stopped?
    That means something but I don’t know what.
    Just had front end completely redone, only thing that didn’t get replaced was the lower A arms

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Notices the bushing are wearing out on the dog bone on the passengers side. This was just replaced 3000 miles ago when the front end got rebuilt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Joe will know. Putting fuel in the coach was probably just enough weight to prevent the front end from fully extending.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Could be who knows take it back. Could be the the outer clamp on the pass tie rod is not configured right and its hitting the shock. Calmed down because u finally bent the 2 items far enough away from each other to stifle it some. The swey bar end is a tic too tight. That could be the squeek

Chuck im in Fl 4 months a year in the winter.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hi Joe:

In Massachusetts with family (Western MA) a long way from service for a Prevost Bus, just interested in being safe enough to get back. Starting to get a consistent squeak in the front end now.

Will be back in FL in a week or so. (I hope LOL or maybe not).

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

20190817_091532.jpg

Here is the clamp on the inside end of a tie rod i have it up. if u dont it will snag the frame under it when u turn.

20190817_095103.jpg

Dont have an installed pic of the outer end but rhat clamp needs to be about 10oclock lookin in. Up but forward, or u snag the shock with it. Both ends have to be right and in different locations to be correct.

IF nothing is loose and IF my guess is correct this is not dangerous only anoying and a inexpensive correction.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Crawled under the front end of the bus and noticed all the dust boots on all the new suspension parts that were installed less than 3000 miles ago were dry. Greased all the front end parts until the dust boots start to expand (Not until grease came out), used entire tube of grease in a manual grease gun.
    Now the bus rides a lot quieter. Still have a little squeak when we go over bigger bumps, I think I have narrowed it down to the front sway bar bushings.
    Hope the lack of grease didn’t hurt anything
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide

That's more good and than bad I guess.

The tie rod ends might come back into conformity if u just back them off.

U have the more compliment black rubber ends. The red neoprene ones r harder and for sure provide better performance but they wear out quickly. The choice is yours. If u can't stop the squeak try them.

Good luck.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens