Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Travel

Default Alaska Travel

While returning to Texas, I stopped at a rest area and had a conversation with a fellow who remarked he would never travel to or in Alaska with a nice coach. His comments were that traveling on highways in that state or to it at posted speeds often resulted in becoming airborne because of repairs, unmarked and unseen dips due to ground heaves potholes the depth of which could not be ascertained before coming upon (in) them.

Furthermore, he said that 'dumpers' (dump trucks, some massive) dropped rocks at speed (doing the limit) that commonly take out windshields, and that this had happened to him. He had been going to Alaska for at least seven years, post-retirement.

I mentioned that we were considering taking a oceanliner/ferry to Alaska for convenience, and to be able to take our time, and catch the next (subsequently) ship to continue our journey when we felt it was time to move on to the next area of interest along the coast. This did not change his opinion or his advice. He also mentioned rock falls; despite barrier walls along the highways which were car or human height, they filled up with detritus after a period of time, and when that happened, rocks would fall and be launched at wall height, missing a lane or two of automobile height vehicles, but occasionally taking out motorhomes, semis, and the like.

Well, now I am wondering about the wisdom of taking a tour with the coach. Obviously many do not have these problems at all, but he was adamant that it was something he wouldn't repeat himself, that he had accumulated months of experience in Alaska; and that it was a gamble.

Comments? Thank you.

Default Alaska

We were in Alaska this past September and did not experience what this guy said. We were not in a motorcoach but did rent a car & travelled in busses.

The main roads from Fairbanks to Seward were as good as anything I have driven in the lower 48. I am sure that if you got off of the main roads there may be " issues " but that holds true everywhere.

Due to the number of tourist the cruise lines take to Alaska and subsequently need to transport them around bus bus it on makes sense that the roads must be in good shape.

Jamie
    2005 Marathon H3-45 # 0867

2013 Chevy Avalanche

I know that Ken Zittrer has made that trip (Bluevost), but also you might pick up Dorreen Orions "Queen of the Road" book, as she has a chapter there (maybe more) detailing their travel up through Alaska.

Ray

Petervs Guest

We are going to take the bus up there one year, that is for certain. Our next few summers are already booked, but Alaska will still be there when we go.

Clearly traveling the marine highway on ferries is completely different from the Alaska Highway through northern Canada. Up one way and back the next is one option. We are going to do the inside passage on the boat for a summer, and drive the Alcan both ways another year.

I have driven through Whitehorse to Skagway and back ( perhaps this is about half the total distance via the Alaska Highway) in a Suburban with a trailer and we had no problems of this sort.

When we got home we had earned quite a badge of honor which was an incredible layer of dirt all over both vehicles. If the road is wet you will collect a great deal of Canada on the outside of your vehicles.

We drove the Cassiar highway on the return trip, this was described as 100 miles of gravel out of the total 350 miles section involved. However, the gravel came in 2 mile sections, essentially the bottom portion of every hill and dale. Those areas get washed out at times and the gravel can be easily regraded. Our experience was that the gravel was smoother than the pavement, and we normally ran at about 45 mph.

One interesting feature of the trip up the Alcan is that most RV drivers seem to want to overnight about every 300 miles or so, and towns and RV parks are spaced abouty that far apart it seems. As a result half the folks in a given RV Park are those you saw last night. The other half were probably going the other way!

You will see millions and millions of trees along the way, much of the drive is not too exciting, but every now and then there is spectacular scenery. People were exceptionally friendly too.

My recommendation is to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Brewer View Post
    Well, now I am wondering about the wisdom of taking a tour with the coach. Obviously many do not have these problems at all, but he was adamant that it was something he wouldn't repeat himself, that he had accumulated months of experience in Alaska; and that it was a gamble.

Comments? Thank you.
    My comments are not bus related, but motorcycle related. I rode the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks on a BMW R100GS Paris Dakar motorcycle in 1992. I was amazed at how good the road was in most places. There were construction zones, but I don't recall having rocks thrown at me and feeling like I was in constant danger. However, I have not done it in a bus, so don't know what you might experience.

After riding the length of the Alaska Highway, I returned from Fairbanks to Tok, AK, and then took the Top Of The World Highway to Dawson at the base of the Dempster Highway in Canada. Top Of The World Highway, best I recall, was a fair bit rougher than Alaska Hwy. My memory of that road would tell me not to travel it in a bus. Then I took Dempster Hwy north to Inuvik so I could cross the Arctic Circle. My trip was less of a sightseeing trip than it sounds like you might envision. I rode 10,770 miles in 15.7 days. But I was amazed at the beautiful scenery and the friendliness of the people.

I wonder why the guy who told you all this bad stuff went back for seven years in a row. Sounds like he's a slow learner. When I got to a gas station at Eagle Plains (or maybe it was Eagle Creek) on the Dempster Highway, I saw two other riders going southbound. I asked them how things were the rest of the way to Inuvik. One said, "Don't go." The other said, "Turn back."

Well, that wasn't acceptable answer for me, so I ignored them and on I rode. I think you take care with what you do, and you know your limits better than anyone else. You race motocross, so the "doom and gloom guy" may be telling you about Alaska from his perspective and it might not correlate with what your experiences will be when you go. I say go.

eric faires
    huntsville, TN

Karen and I are planning to go to Alaska this summer. We are kicking around driving the Newell to Seattle and then flying to Anchorage and renting a car to tour Alaska. Time is a factor for us; therefore, we will probably fly up from Seattle. Nothing is written in stone, we are considering all of our options.

From Louisiana it would be a 10,000 mile round trip drive. I would guess at about 2 months away from home in order to see everything. We really want to see Northern California, Oregon, and Washington.

If anyone is planning an Alaska trip this summer let us know. We are looking at June 1st - July 31st or there about. It might be fun to travel together.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

We are planning to go again in summer 2010. Can you wait another year??

Ken B -- You hear these kinds of stories all the time. I'm sure unfortunate incidents happen, but they happen at home too. As Ray mentioned I drove a 40' Eagle up there in 2004. 87 days on the road. No broken headlights, no broken windshield, no hits, no runs, no errors. I did hit one unmarked frost heave between Skagway and Whitehorse, YT. I didn't have a rearview camera on that bus, but I'm sure the jeep came off the ground (all 4). I did not get to Dawson City, YT as there were some huge forest fires and the road was closed in Alaska due to poor visability. That stretch of road from Dawson City, YT to Tok, AK is dirt and is about 70 or 80 miles. Hopefully next trip. Do your homework, and plan well. You'll have a fantastic experience. Don't let these naysayers steal your dream!!

Ken,

Waiting another year might work out. We would really like to go with another coach or several other coaches. I think it would be fun, and there is strength in numbers. It would also be nice to have the advantage of someone who has already been there.

Karen wants to go to Ireland, so we may do that this year and Alaska next. She is afraid to fly, but she REALLY wants to go to Ireland. So she is vasilating about the long flight.

I want to go while the diesel prices are reasonable. Of course, everything could go nuts by this summer. So we will make our decision soon. I'll keep you informed.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I met a guy while staying at a RV site in Oregon this last summer who had recntly returned from Alaska. He had a great time fishing . The only problems he had were constant washing & cleaning of his Coach ( can't keep up with it)and rock chipping on the front of his Coach and on his tow car. Apparently, his insurance was covering the rock damage.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Waiting a year to visit Alaska is about right anyway. Great idea. Have a good time in Ireland. Once traveled to Cork on business for a few days. Very interesting and rewarding experience, but I fell under the weather and was unable to visit the Blarney Stone, which is quite near Cork.