Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New owner of Vintage Bus 1980

Fred right on, that's a fine looking classic Prevost. I like the older ones the best. Mine is a 96 but that's only cause I insisted on a Series 60. You're hitting the ground running hard, very cool.

Default Heating zones heart

Starting to make progress with my DIY hydronic system.

I purchase a used Milwaukee M12 ProPEX expansion tool sometime ago and I have to say that it is a pleasure to use.

The bus YouTube channel "Beginning from this Morning" has a video on using such a tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWIgm8EKkY

The not so much pleasure is that you have to visit an actual plumbers store to get supplies and forget any of the box hardware stores.

Also this method you have to use PEX A and F1960 PEX style fittings.

You can order from Amazon, but it tends to be larger quantities and generally not available for prime next day shipping. Start your search with "F1960 PEX", lowest price first.

I unfortunately ordered lots of PEX B parts which is not compatible with this expansion tool.

As part of my design I connect the pumps with 1/2 swivel adapters. So that if a pump goes bad it is easy to replace.

These swivel adapters are only economical in PEX B for about $2.00 each, verses $20.00 each as a F1960 PEX A part.

So I elected to hand crimp them with stainless steel rings. Given that I will be using 12-16 of them by the time I am done.

So off to bus to do a test fit and get ready to start running PEX pipe for each heating zone.

You will be glad you used pex A. Much better product

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

The thing about pecs that I don't like is if you're going to use it the points were it terminates and you make that crimp have to be in the right place so you can get the Big Tool on it. and do it easily Usually there's a lot that you can't get at once it becomes in the owner's hands and they have to make any potential repairs sometimes that could be really tough so be careful where you put the crimps.

That's an interesting tool.

I can't ever seem to do any kind of Plumbing Leak free it just ain't in me I prefer using all the shark bite fittings.I like the idea of the simple disassembly and reusability.

20200126_154919.jpg

20200203_103903.jpg

They're expensive and I don't have a lot of money but I still think they were worth buying it makes a way neater finished product and there's no leaks and if I ever have to fix something very easy to take apart.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-20-2020 at 11:25 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hi Joe

Well you are well on your way so no sense changing the course now. My understanding is that SharkBites are great to use as long as can get to them to replace if they spring a leak.

The tool is fairly expensive which is why I brought mine used, though I do think at a used price I paid too much for it.

The joints go together so rapidly, maybe it would be something you could rent?

Actually after you do the expansion of the pipe and collar you have about 15 seconds to slip it over the PEX A fitting. So, you can do quite tight spaces by varying the order of assembly.

It could very well be a tool that I use only once maybe twice. This isint my camper in the picture I was tasked with the project. I will not gut mine till the last. First I'm constructing the basement/bays next I'm moving windows and doors and siding it THEN comes the inside.

It is going to remain a small coupe. I'll heat it with candles no need for multiple circulating pumps I'll leave all that to u guys.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Default Hydronic manifold installed

Making progress on my DIY Hydronics system and I have the zone manifold and distribution piping almost finished.

As you can see from the attached picture that it looks fairly complicated. But it is really not a lot of work. I really, really love the ProPEX expansion tool type of system as it makes doing this kind of work dirt simple.

As you can see I had to fit it into a fairly tight area based on all the previous stuff/hacks that have been done on my bus.

I would like to say that I planned it out with every detail accounted for, but hey the flexibility of this type of PEX A/ProPEX system really works. I made the basic layout based on the minimum recommended pipe segment length which is three inches for 3/4 PEX and two inches for 1/2 PEX.

Also by varying the assembly steps it is easy to work in tight quarters as you have about 20 seconds after expansion to jam the pieces together and allow them to shrink back to a tight fit.

I would say this represents about two full days of actual work to have multiple zone heat distribution for the bus living quarters/bays and it will take another 2-3 days (not counting skull sweat time) to finish the plumbing portion of the system.
    Last edited by freds; 03-31-2020 at 12:47 PM.

What's at the connection between hot and cold? Looks great!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    What's at the connection between hot and cold? Looks great!
    Check valve, when the pumps for the heat zone are not running it permits flow back the cold intake for storage. When the pumps are energized it closes. At least that's the theory...