Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New owner of Vintage Bus 1980

Tough crowd!

Joe, just know the Air Force doesn't need a truck and trailer to get us to the job. Here's another very important aspect of being an enlisted Air Force member. We are the only service that salutes our officers as they depart for the war front while we remain a safer distance at our forward operating bases. All others are on the front lines being directed by their officers.

Hey military officers, I'm not showing any disrespect especially for my Air Force officers that go into harms way.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

You know I love you Gill. I've been gone for 3 and 1/2 Weeks and I think I'll be scratching my dog's belly tomorrow before the sun goes down. Once by Peterbilt starts smelling them Home Fires there's no holding her back
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Ah, the command post version the M577A1 was my ride when I was in the Army absolutely loved that vehicle!!!! Eleven tons of aluminum foil LOL!

Bus1.jpg

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the great replies. I have gotten the bus home, after putting on new tires.

Not sure who the original converter was; it looks it has had multiple do overs on the living space a number of times.

It also has a dash conversion that was halted mid stream with just enough working gauges to make it road able.

Lots of non bones system problems that need to diagnosed and documented. The previous owner wasn't big on electrical stuff and tended to bypass things when there were problems.

It has about 140K miles on it, (a guess since the speedometer, stopped working a couple of years ago, according to the seller).

My initial immediate task list is:

1. Fix diesel/prime leak on the Kohler 12.5KW 12.5ACOP63 generator.
    2. Speedometer
    3. Weak Jake brakes, manual says three position switch off,low and high. New dash just has off/on.

PS. Sorry about the sideways picture, tried rotating it to no effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freds; 09-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.

thats a damn good looking bus. do it right.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hi Everyone

Been doing some research on my bus and reading the forum. I have gleaned from the forum that I should do the following action items:

1. Register as the current owner
    2. Open an account for parts
    3. Request the manual on CD disk

I have tried calling Prevost multiple times and wind up in telephone tag where they don't know what I am talking about or go into call back limbo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fred

You can download all of documents from PrevostCar.com The older the model year the less likely you'll find clear copies of all of the documents.

Gil and Durlene

Default Jake Brake Problem on my bus

Just an update on the Jake Brake problem. It turns out their is level one and level two Jake brakes. I believe the level one (low) position involves a couple of cylinders per bank and level two does all the cylinders.

Anyway when you have level two the low position is to activate just one bank and the high position is activate both banks which requires the three position switch.

The wiring diagram for my bus indicated only one control wire from the front to the back, which is what you need for level one. More wires are needed for level two control. So the operator manual indicating a off/low/high switch was a red herring.

I found the wire from one bank hanging loose and not attached to the throttle buffer switch.

Before reconnecting I measured the resistance on the connected bank and the disconnected bank.

The connected bank was 16 Ohms and the disconnected bank was 24 Ohms.

Simply attaching the wire did increase the effectiveness, however still not a robust response or change in the exhaust sound when engaged.

However when I turn if off while engaged it is more a definite effect/feedback.

Looking from the back of the engine; yellow is a wire going to the left bank, red is a unused terminal and blue is a wire going to the right bank of the engine that isn't hooked to anything.

Below is picture of the wire coming out of the right bank and there is similar one on the left bank.

Fixed the speedometer, got to looking at the circuit diagrams and it showed four wires for connections.

Pulled the speedometer and only three were hooked up!!! After tracing wires the missing wire was the power wire, fished around in the dash and couldn't find anything that looked like it would reach.

Anyway the previous owner stated that it used to work, but hasn't for the last couple of years, so a bit mystified as to how it could have previously functioned without a power wire.

Provided a replacement power wire and it immediately started working again.

Fred, great effort. Sometimes you just have to dismiss what a previous owner tells you.

Gil and Durlene