Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New owner of Vintage Bus 1980

Default New owner of Vintage Bus 1980

Hi Everyone

OK, don't know if a 1980 counts as vintage, feel free to weigh in...

Anyway I am going to be picking up my bus this week, waiting for my AAA RV add on to activate before I do. Though the previous owner alleged that he drove it all over for his son's rock band. It has an automatic transmission, so in case it has to be towed I think the drive shaft needs to be pulled? Any other requirements?

Anyway it has a state id number that is not the VIN on the title. It comes with a couple of boxes of paper work and manuals that I have yet to go through as they are with the bus. My insurance company want's the VIN number and I am assuming that I will find it in the paper work. If not where would I find it on the chassis ?

Also it has rubber storage compartment hinges, does anyone know where I can source the parallel door lift kit's or parts?

Thanks everyone!

Fred

Would love to see a picture!

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Congrats!

If the coach needs to be towed all professional heavy vehicle tow operators will know what to do.

The driveshaft has to be removed or the drive axles. Drive axles are sometimes easier to pull. The operator should cover the axle shaft covers with something. Many bolt a piece of cardboard over the opening.

They will also need to supply the coach with air or cage the spring brakes. Air is best and the fitting should be in the engine bay on the passenger side. I don't know if your coach has level low to raise and lower the coach. If the air suspension holds air you're good to go. If the suspension doesn't hold air you need to figure out how to get air in the rear bags. That's easy if the wrecker is using a front wheel lift. More difficult if they are raising the coach from the chassis.

I've never seen a rubber door hinge on a Prevost. Joe's seen more. He'll likely chime in.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Here's how to tell what your VIN should look like.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Prev...er_Explanation

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Restoring a Prevost that old is going to be a real lesson in perseverance, just for starters. I'll be happy to help you however I can. Can't say I recall bay doors like you're describing.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hey Joe! Think Gil might be interested in coming to work for me? Sounds like he has towing Prevost buses down pat!

Hey Fred I didn't mean to sound negative but I wanted to prepare you. With a bus that's 35 years old if I were you I find somebody like me who for sure knew what they were doing and I'd have them come out and put that bus up and pull all six hubs right down to the spindles and disassemble it and do an inspection and put it back together. Right out of the box that's what I do. After 35 years only the good Lord knows how many different guys have had their hands on that chassis and additionally there's probably a whole bunch of stuff in there that maybe has never been taken off the bus and if you're planning on keeping it for a while this would be the best way to start. I've had a rash of older coaches this summer I did an 88 in Iowa just like I suggested you do and we found a slew of broken return spring break rollers not rolling anymore huge amounts of buildup and crud tapered screws we had a drill out inner seals starting to leak. Doug is out there he's probably reading this he'll tell you it was his bus. I have a stop tomorrow in Kansas City with an 83 Liberty conversion. This will be an initial inspection to get a parts order going with a new client. This is going to be your vintage the 96 in wide and I haven't seen it yet but I'm pretty sure I know what to expect and I'm going to suggest he do the same thing I'm suggesting to you. I don't know how mechanically minded you are and if you have the aptitude to do these kind of repairs but if you do I'd be happy to coach you through it if you think you can.

Who's the converter? How much service history came with it?

Norm you got to start returning your calls. I tried to hire Gill for a gopher but he wouldn't do it I don't know whats the matter with him. Offered to supply him with a ditty bag and everything. He'd probably want you to have somebody polishing his wheels before he hits the road with it every time or cry like a baby. flyboys u know, prima donnas.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20190822_224042.jpg

Hey Gill, these dont fly, aint that somthin!!! No air conditioning either.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-22-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

M113, no A/C but will bring serious smoke......

Fred - at the risk of making Joe's head swell, he is probably the best thing could happen with your bus. He will treat it like his own. And....as a bonus....if he comes to you maybe he can detour thru the Portland area. I think he likes it there

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40