Thread: Fuel Flow Meters

Default Fuel Flow Meters

I'm looking to put one of these on my Peterbilt. I'm kind of surprised that you don't see these on truck and bus chassis maybe you do I never have. I'm thinking the Marine industry and the aviation industry uses these more commonly and there's a bunch of you guys that are out there with buses too. Can anybody give me a suggestion on a particular manufacturer or type does anybody have any experience with these on boats or planes.

I think if I had this gauge I'd be playing with it constantly running hour at 60, running hour at 70, running hour at 80 , see exactly what the difference is, no guessing at all . I'm going to throw it in here before I switch rear end gears too so I can get a baseline and then find exactly where the sweet spot is.

And initial web search has turned up product from $50 to 500 and I am Clueless.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-19-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I am a Yacht capatain and have run may yachts with various fuel consumption gages/meters both on the main diesels engines and the gas engines on the tenders. I my experience over the years the diesel ones usually start reading inaccurately after a year or so due to the small partials of algae etc. getting in the flow sensors and the gas ones usually work quite well. I figure due to the marine environment and marine fuel tanks usually being in the engine room (hot air surrounding them and colder water underneath them outside the hull) plus many marinas don't maintain their tanks as well as highway stations lead to early failure.
    I would ASSUME and we all know what that means; highway road use would be kinder to the meters and they would probably perform well.

Chuck
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Life is so much simpler on asphalt versus water...