Thread: Door latch problem

Default Door latch problem

2006 Liberty Prevost. The front door (I hope there isn't any other door) has trouble latching. For the last year, it would latch one out of 3 or four times. Mostly, it would just bounce. Finally, I had the courage to take the door apart. I got the blow-up from Prevost in Ft. Worth. I carefully removed the door covering and got to the latch. I removed it. I soaked it in grease remover, and reinstalled it, without grease (wasn't sure which was right but now know how to take it apart again) and it closes, now 2 out of 3 times. So, I got a #50 star wrench and tried to loosen the bolt that is attached to the door frame using a 6 inch long socket arm. No good. It won't budge. So, do I live with a 2 out of 3 chance of latching and then push the safety latch and hope that keeps the door closed? What do I do?

No you shouldn't have to live with that the door should just click shut if it's closing correctly. Could there be some weather stripping that a prior owner has put around the jam that you didn't notice not to be original? Try adjusting the striker it may move some.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

The problems I have had with the door closing have almost always been related to the striker. Easy to check from the inside.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston