Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Tires

Default Brand New Tires

Today I had installed 8 315 Michelins on my 1998 Featherlight. I plan on this weekend as advised on this thread to run by CAT scales and weigh the coach loaded. As per Gils advice and picture in an earlier thread I am going to make sure I am splitting the three axles on the three scale pads.

I am then going to go back leaving the right side off the scales. I am assuming that getting the weight of just the left side, by doing the math I should have the weight on each side.

I had the installer put 110 on the drive and 100 on tag and drive. This seemed to be a pressure recommended by some POG members.

Any more advice on how to proceed to get the best tire pressure for my coach?

Thanks

David I recently weighed mine. Didn’t do side to side. Fuel tank full 160 gal, holding tanks empty, water tank probably at least half full 165 gal capacity. Other than that bus completely empty other than me. 1A395FC7-A171-498A-B584-8D2AF2AFE33A.jpeg

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Yes, you can do wheel position weights with a CAT scale, but it's a PITA due to the framework for the CAT advertising sign over the one end of the scale. Because of that frame you might be challenged to get the coach on the same pressure plates with one side barely off the scale. If you can't do this you'll have to do 2-3 weighings. You'll have to back the coach up so that you aren't up to the CAT Scale sign frame. If you're lucky, the steers will be on one platform and both the tag and drives will be on another. If this is the case, I'd call it good. There's not much of a chance that the side to side difference is much between the drive and tag so an aggregate weight on one side of the combined drive and tag should be good enough. Otherwise, you'll have to back on the scale to get the drive and tags off the one side of the scale and on 2 different pressure plates.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Billy, no wonder those 40 footers are rocket ships. You're around 10K lighter than a lot of us.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I may need to install a drag 'chute.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Pipe dreams. 10200 steer 12000 drives 30000 CGVW with a 1 ton van in tow. Yesterday I drove from Chicago to OK City on 90 gal of fuel. It was 820 miles.

If u think I'm bragging just wait till I go to a 3.08 rear end gear. I predict 11mpg may be more.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-02-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I'll have to build a custom push bumper on it so I can help all my buddies up the mountain. Figure out some way to latch onto the back of one of them buses without getting all that pretty polished stainless smudged up
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Enough of the thread creep. Back to tires. I know this is totally unrelated to buses and is purely for entertainment value.

20190802_090637.jpg

These tires are take offs from a friend of mine's dump truck although they look like retreads they're not their whole tires. I put them on there three or four years ago when I first bought the Peterbilt when I had a million other things to do. Only God knows how many miles were put on these tires before I put them in play. I've got over 40,000 more on it in the last 3 years. Look at the amount of Bulge on the sidewall. I got to that point by dropping the air pressure down until what I felt was a good-looking bulge in a sidewall developed. There's 55 lb of air in those tires that's where they've been for the last 40,000 miles and that's where they will stay. Look at the wear pattern it's absolutely at the perfect pressure.

I can't describe the huge difference in the ride by having them here. The lowest pressure that they show on the Air to weight charts stops at 70 PSI but at that pressure they say the tire can still carry twice what I've got on it and at 70 there was absolutely no bulge evident.

So what do you think about all them apples.

They're starting to finally wear down enough to where I'm going to have to Rattle his cage again and get me another set.

I love telling this story to my bus Buddies and watching them cringe.

Hanging around with all you guys is as much fun as you could possibly have without removing your pants.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-02-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

How much air pressure does Michelin say you need in a 315 - 80 to carry 5100 lb? 85??

What is the lowest suggested air pressure Michelin says you can put in a 365??
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

All,

I have not completed side to side yet. But I am

Steer. 14460 (Michelin says 100 )
    Drive 19540.00. (Michelin says 85)
    Tag. 11760. (Michelin says 85)

Sound right?