Hello,

This last week my original Detroit Series 60 starter quit. I have a 97 Detroit engine. The POG group recommended a gear reduction starter. My mechanic agreed and said they are so much better.

As they were replacing, they called me to take a look. One of the flywheel teeth had chipped off. They explained that the older starters start spinning and then engage. The newer starters engage and then start spinning. They also said that most motors always stop at the same place putting wear on the same gear teeth each time.

Good news for me is the teeth still have lots of meat left and should be fine, until I plan on major work on the engine. This is an easy fix, but the engine would have to be pulled to get access. I do have a small leak on my cam plate and want to adjust the overheads. So will put this on the list.

If I had known this in advance I would have exchanged the starter much earlier. It was a 2 hour job and 400.00 part.

My opinion is those with the older starter think about preventative changeout. I seemed to be lucky with the break, it could have been much worse and would shut me down for a extensive and expensive repair.

Thoughts of this from the group?