Thread: Cautious prevost buyer

Default Cautious prevost buyer

Hello everyone hearing differant stories on cost of ownership of a used prevost years 2000 to 2003 per year. Knowing that we may use it to go back to the east coast from Arizona time to time, can anyone enlighten me what these buses can cost excluding the financing? I am trying to budget for this if i decode to purchase one thanks

NOT ALL, but MOST often, new buyers spend close to 20g within the first year, if not more and ONLY IF u find a well sorted used bus. If u get past that and r a long term owner it going to require another 6 or 8 annually to include the tires and batteries when these items age out. Even though the vintage u r interested in could be had for under 200,000 u will be maintaining a million dollar vehicle.

There are exceptions to this opinion but not many.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Hello Vince,

I am an owner of my 2nd Prevost Coach and love owing and driving one. Over the years I have owned many RVs and there is nothing like a Prevost. Regarding pricing go to Prevost.stuff and click on preowned. In my searches I would narrow down coaches to 100 K to 200 K. This will give you a wide range of choices. Decision for you is:

XL no slides, Xl2 or XL3 with our without slides H with our without slides (although coaches without slides are rarer) For me it will always be an XL XL2 or XL3

Making a decision on slides is your first choice. I chose not to have them as I travel for my performances and most the time I am pulling over for the night, parking in a theater lot or dock. I like the roominess of a non slide when slides are not out. But if you are traveling to a destination for a few days, slides are awesome. Slides do add the the budget as they will someday need to be serviced.

Regarding how much you spend at first fixing the coach. Question I have for you is: Are you on a timetable" Do you have to be somewhere at at specific time? In my case as an entertainer, I have to be at a show or I lose money and my reputation. So I am very proactive fixing everything, sometimes changing items my mechanics say could be an issue on the road.

If you have time on a breakdown and can wait a week or two to address the issue, the money you spend will be much less then in my case.

Gil is soooo correct, safety is paramount. When buying a coach make sure brakes and tires are in good shape. On this thread there is a lot of discussion on aged tires. I have found there are different opinions. I fall into the 6 ish year change out, no matter how they look.

Brakes get them checked and fix any issues.

My thoughts
    Last edited by Dthomas9572; 07-07-2019 at 10:29 AM.

I bet if you asked most owners after they've been through this process if it was worth it most would say yes.

From time to time I wouldn't say frequent or on a regular basis but there are some amazing really really well kept sharp mid 90s Prevost conversions with 60 series in them that people pick up for peanuts. It would require to be quick with an advertisement or a personal referral. The XL and the XLV with the 60 series Detroit (94 TO 2000) r bus chassis that will take their rightful place in history and deservedly so.

If you can find a bus from somebody who's had a few of them that usually turns out well.

Another mitigating Factor 2 your maintenance costs after purchase is directly related to your skill level mechanically and technically if you know how to use a meter and you're good with tools and you can do your own work it's going to be a lot less then somebody who has to rely on a service center to do everything. If you fall in the category of being handy those estimates I suggested could be dramatically reduced.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Vince, we are on our third Prevost (a 1992, a 2002 and a 2008).

I have always figured costs along these lines.

Expect that you will spend 5 to 15% of the purchase price in the first six months to get everything lined out (fluid changes, tires, batteries, air bags, suspension and other issues). And yes on a $250,000 bus you may spend $25,000 to $35,000 to get everything up to speed. On the 2002, I purchased new tires, batteries, and redid the front suspension, replaced shocks and some airbags and fixed a few issues with the house and ended up spending $27,000 in the first year. On the first two buses I ended up in that range (5 to 15% range). On the current bus I am considerably less, but that is because I made sure the price included new tires and house batteries and the price of the bus was higher. Of course the year isn't up on the bus. So far I have spent about $7,500 on the current bus to service it and fix things that needed to be fixed (awning motor, air leaks, air bags, etc). This stresses the value of having a PDI performed by someone who knows what they are looking at so you can negotiate a price understanding what you may need to spend. It can save you a fortune.

Each year I figure $5,000 for general maintenance (oil changes and other issues that pop up). You may get away with less but on average that is what I have spent. That assumes that you use the bus fairly regularly. If you use it less often you may have a higher expense. Buses like to be driven and lived in.

I also figure new tires and batteries every five years (tires at $7,500 and batteries at $4,000 to $5,000 depending on the number you have). If I take the tire and battery number and accrue over 5 years that is $2,500 per year.

Add the tire and battery annual reserve to the $5,000 of general maintenance and you get a $7,500 per year number. Assuming 10,000 miles a year that is $0.75 per mile before fuel costs. Keep in mind that this doesn't address the inevitable OMG repairs that will need to be addressed. My OMG expenses included a blown 8V92 engine that cost $17,000 to rebuild, a $5,000 slide out repair bill and a generator replacement bill.

In the back of my mind with the 02 I always figured I had a $50,000 bill at some point for panel repair (it was an XLII), but I never did.

Buses are not cheap but they are a great way to travel. I find that I have less repairs with the bus than I did on a Fleetwood diesel pusher but the costs are higher. I haven't seen a hearse with a luggage rack and figure if I leave it to the kids it will only make them worthless so spending money on a bus seems like a reasonable idea.

Good luck with the hunt.
    Last edited by Loc; 07-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Loc is my best repeat battery customer.

Truk,

Have I reached the bulk customer discount level yet?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

I recently upgraded to a Prevost from an MCI. I did a complete inspection on the bus and all associates components. I identified everything that required service, maintenance, and repairs and jotted them down. I assigned a retail price for the work to be completed, then determined what I could do it for etc. My offer was based on the retail repairs, and the seller was very understanding regarding my offer as I explained the repairs required. With that being said if this is a first time bus purchase, take someone with you that you really trust to help with that inspection. Surprises can come with huge price tags, and lead to a disappointing experience.

Good morning cautious buyer Vince. It was just brought to my attention that a pogger has just listed his bus and it kind of fits the parameters of what I was suggesting. This is a 95 vision. Tuga listed it for $99,000. It's a 45-foot bus with a 60 series engine and it was Pete's bus before it was Tugas. Pete's had a few buses and he really takes care of them well. This is a really really well taken care of bus with a lot of miles left on it for peanuts I don't think it's going to hang out long, it shouldn't anyway.

It's listed on Prevost stuff check it out.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-13-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens