Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for new tires

Default Time for new tires

Ok, I guess it is time for new tires. My Michelin 315s look brand new, no cracks, good thread BUT 2013s. My plans are to put 2 new on the steers, 4 new on the drive. Question for all, do you think I will be safe with the best older tires on the tag? Or should I put new on the tag as well. My concern is the damage to the rear IF there is a ever a blow out.

Thoughts?

You are right. The cost to fix the bus versus the coat of new tires.a no brainer. Buy the best tire that you can afford.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

I would check with Michelin, your tires may not be "aged out" yet.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Be sure to contact NTCS, you won’t find a tire any cheaper and you pay Michelin just like the Advantage, but less money.

National Tire Concierge Services
    Titusville, FL 32780
    Wendy Ward - 321-747-3675 - wendy.ward@wardnco.com * David Ward - 321-607-4273 - david.ward@wardnco.com

If you know how your tires have been used, why not trust Michelin that warranties your tires for 7 years? If the coach had a time on the times before you bought it, your decision to replace in advance of the need could be a good one. Someone may have ran those tires sufficiently under inflated that they won't make it to the 7 year warranty period. It's your money and your choice and I certainly understand the safety risks associated with tire blowouts. Personally, I'm going to trust Michelin and run mine 7 years.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

I purchased the coach in late 2018 which means the tires had 5 years before me. Knowing that should I replace the tags also? I know this is just a gut call, but would love your thoughts. Thanks

With 5 years of unknown care. You would certainly have peace of mind replacing them all. The tag tires aren't hard working with respect to weight. They are subject to tremendous side pressures.

I'd probably replace them all. You likely budgeted for them.

Gil and Durlene

I am of the different mindset. The last 5 body repairs from blowouts have all been from tires 5 years or less especially with 365's. I am not associated with the tire company and I should keep my mouth shut because of how much work is being generated for my bodyshop, but no way I would run Michelin tires past 5 years unless I was driving them daily and putting at least 20k miles a year. I'm sorry, I don't care what Michelin says. Try out their 7 year warranty after you have been towed off the interstate and there is nothing left for them to inspect! I have witnessed several customers battle with Michelin and one got a new replacement tire but still got the bill for his deductible and loss of use of the coach. This just happened last week, I will not mention his name as he can chime in if he wants to. 5 Year old steer tire. Just left my shop with proper air pressure..

Tires are very cheap insurance...don't cheap out on tires, please!

IMG_4059.JPG

Donnie,

I think that blowout wins the award for the longest side damage. It looks like it took out all of the bays! Not good. How much time does it take to repair and acquire parts for a job like this?

It does look like a 315.

Gil and Durlene

Yes, 315. What's weird, and I have said this before, I have had I think 3 or 4 date code 2015 315's blow. I find that strange. It is in Pensacola and the insurance company is at this very minute sourcing a wrecker service to tow here. The bay doors under the slides we will have to make ourselves as they were originally built by Featherlite. This one will take some time as it ripped out the Cruise Air evap behind the drivers seat and refrigerant lines. It damaged the wiring harness as there is no comms with transmission or engine! I am borderline thinking totaled!!