Thread: ZipDee Allen Wrench

Default ZipDee Allen Wrench

I remember hearing that on the ZipDee new century box awnings, you can use a 7mm allen (hex key) wrench to manually retract or extend the awnings.

Is 7mm the correct size?

To be used in a drill driver the long straight section of the allen wrench is needed. Do I just cut off the L-shape portion or does someone make an appropriate straight allen wrench?

Is a really long one needed?

I don't need it right now and if I get one and keep it in the bus, I will likely never need it. If I don't have it... that never works out well for me.

Thanks!
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Les,
    You can get sockets with Allen wrench’s made in them. Commonly used for brake work and available at good auto parts stores. Then get a Socket driver adapter for a drill and it will make things much easier.

Thanks, Rocky

I did get on the roof and confirm that the hex key is 7mm. Also a hex key around 6" long will work. I am getting one that I can use my cut off wheel chop saw to modify.

I did find in the Zip Dee instructions a picture of the part number 299800 "Emergency Wheel". I bet my modified hex key will be a cheaper option...
    hex.jpg
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Bought a long 7mm hex key.... Cut off the L-portion, smoothed off the edges and put it in my bus tool box, hoping to never need it. If I do need to manually close an awning, the modified hex key and a drill driver will make the job much quicker.
    AwningHex.jpg
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII