Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration nightmare

Question Registration nightmare

I am trying to register and title a new to me 1999 Prevost Vogue in the state of Georgia. The vin comes up as a bus of course. They tell me that it can only be registered as a commercial bus. Their new computer system will not allow it to be called a Motorhome/RV. Has anybody successfully titled their Prevost in Georgia as a Motorhome. The cost is significant to have it as a commercial bus. Is a Montana registration my only recourse?

Obviously something has changed, I lived in GA until recently for 35 years and registered multiple Prevosts with the designation “MH”. Prevosts were never in their database and required a vin inspection by law enforcement. What is the vehicle designation (type) on the previous state title? You may have to take pictures inside and out then plead your case with the main DMV downtown, a real joy.....

You may also need some help from Featherlite to prove it’s a Motorhome.

I ran into a simialar situation in Washington state, it took a letter from Marathon and a review by the head honcho of the state revenue department to get it licensed and titled as a motorhome for the proper year.
    No common sense.

In Michigan I had to wait for them to call and get approval from the main office before I could proceed. The first person I talked to at the local office told me they couldn't register it. After pushing back they got someone else and then called the main office. It took about 3 hours of waiting, but now its not an issue.

Thank you for the replies. It was registered in Montana as a Motorhome. DMV still not convinced. Waiting on reply from state of Georgia. I thought this would be easy. We love the bus, we just can’t drive it!

That is why some of us choose to live in small town America! We purchased the coach from an AZ dealer but took possession in NV formally with a professional driver and Notary at both ends. In rural southern Oregon when we got home it was simply a matter of driving to the local DMV office, pulling up to the curb to avoid clobbering the parking lot and having the nice DMV lady walk out to confirm the VIN and eyeball that, yes, it is a motorhome. A few dollars later and it was registered in Oregon right at the counter. No phone calls, no running around...... Gotta love small town America.

Jerry

Some DMV offices seldom register an incomplete vehicle. As long as it's not registered as a Prevost, they just need to lookup incomplete vehicle process. If the look at the factory identi-plate it clearly states incomplete vehicle.
    20190702_133619.jpg

I do think it's strange the final manufacturer doesn't have to assign their own VIN like many rolling chassis motorhomes. They don't have to though.

DO NOT let them register it as a bus. You then become subject to the requirements of commercial operators. You will also have a vehicle that's older than it really is.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thank you Gil. I appreciate all the help you provide to this forum.

Montana, period. we have pog sponsors use one of them it will be painless not to mention the tax savings. Once it becomes 10 years old it's a permanent plate from there on out it'll cost you fifty bucks a year for maintenance fee to keep the LLC live in Montana and the sponsors here on POG they'll set u up with a post office box everything you need. I got my Peterbilt registered as an RV have you ever seen a picture of that? All I needed on my end was to get any peace officer to come and look at the vehicle look at the VIN and sign off on this piece of paper that says what he's looking at has that VIN on there and I got one of my hometown cops to come over and do it for me took him five minutes.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Update: The state of Georgia was able to reprogram computers to accept my 1999 Prevost Vogue as a motorhome.
    It only to 1 month! Hope to see you on the road, I’m legal now.