Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going out west

Default going out west

We are looking for suggestions and ideas? We are going to take a 2 month trip from SW Virginis to the west coast. Probably clockwise, toward Nashville, TX, NM AZ Ca then north to Oregon, Washington and then east bound. We would like to see many of the national parks and highlights.
    Is there a road plan to do what I am planning?
    Terry

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Not sure what your interest's are. We have enjoyed visiting Presidential museums or homes, but if it interests you, you are heading in the right direction. Some you may have already been to. Starting in Virginia, there are several. Arkansas...Clinton, Georgia, FDR, summer home..Texas, has 3, Johnson, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, California, Nixon, Reagan (excellent) ect. I could go on and on, but don't want to take up your time in case you have no interest. Our favorite is the Lincoln in IL, and Reagan in Semi Valley Ca. Just a suggestion.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Thanks Pete

Carlsbad Caverns are worth the visit in NM. Santa Fe is worth visiting also. If you haven't been thru Hoover Dam on the Damn Tour, worth it.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Moab Utah is a very central location for Arches and Needles and Canyonlands just to name a few great national parks in that neighborhood.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks guys

You really should think of this loop you have in mind as a four month trip, or two two month trips. You will be taking in large and scenic parts of North America that will be hard to do justice to in just two months. Distances in the west are greater than you might be used to.

That said, unless you have a strong reason to do so, stay out of southern California as San Diego to Santa Barbara is a linear parking lot that will take four hours or more to traverse at the best of times, fuel prices are high, people are "numerous" and the driving style of those around you will challenge your good nature. Once you are north of the LA basin California can be quite interesting, especially the mountains to the east but do keep an eye on the weather. For your kind of a trip I suggest turning north before you get into California and do Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, the Grand Canyon and the wonders of the red rock country in Utah. You will want to get over to the west coast north of San Francisco bay but, again, keep an eye on the weather. Avoid US-1 right along the coast as it is really narrow, twisty and not pleasant in anything as big as a Prevost. Both I-5 and US-101 are fine for going north up to the OR border but know that the roads in between are few, narrow, slow and twisty. For the US-101 check road conditions as mud/rock slides are not uncommon so parts of it are often under construction. You do want to get to the Redwood National and State parks right near the CA/OR border. The southern Oregon coast is the most spectacular of all the coast line on the west coast of the US so take it slow and enjoy all the turnouts all the way to Astoria (mouth of the Columbia river).

There is so much to see and do in Oregon and Washington that you cannot possibly take it all in in one trip so pick and choose based on your time. From Astoria you can continue north into Washington and possibly Canada (see below), or you can turn east going through Portland and start your return aiming for I-90 out of Spokane, WA, and on through the Rocky Mountains.

If you elect to continue north know that the coast gets less interesting in Washington so you will likely want to take I-5 north. Keep in mind that Olympia, WA, (State capital) to Everette (Boeings huge assembly plant north of Seattle) is also a linear parking lot much of the time. Once you are north of Everette you have another choice to make. Either continue on into Canada or turn east on the North Cascades Highway (US-20). That is spectacular but slow and twisty mountain driving. Avoid Vancouver, BC in your bus as narrow roads and lots of traffic conspire to make even natives cringe at the though of driving a Prevost there. East of Vancouver puts you into some of the most beautiful country you will ever see in North America. For example, a drive up the Banff to Jasper highway will leave you breathless. When you come back down you will reenter the US east of Spokane, WA, either in the ID panhandle or in MT. There also is an option of going through Canada and come back down through the Okanogan Valley and then on to Spokane, WA. Any of these loops will add significantly to your trip time.

However you elect to do this, take your time and you will never forget this memorable trip.
    Last edited by Dtjoint; 05-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Hi Jerry,
    Thank you very much for all the great information. Sounds like 4 months would be time well spent. I'm not sure I can be gone that long.
    I truly thank you for taking the time to write.
    Terry

Just a comment... Going clockwise can be a bit of a challenge, weather wise. You may want to avoid being too far South in the Summer months. Same problem being too far North in the Fall/Winter. We are planning our trip out West in September and October, doing the more North sections in September and leaving for the Southern return route in October.

We are looking at Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, 4 Corners/Moab, Salt Lake City (POG rally), and then beginning our swing back South with Zion, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Las Cruces, Dallas, Little Rock, etc.

Hopefully we will minimize our chance for extreme heat or cold. We also hope to avoid the Summer school vacation kids crowds.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Weather is seldom a problem with cold/snow at most altitudes from the first of May through the end of September. October can be problematic at the higher elevations, especially in northern New Mexico and the four corners region where you can get a storm at any time of year. We have more than once been in snow in Gallop, NM or Flagstaff, AZ, for example. Similarly, little problem with heat except at the lowest altitudes in the desert SW in June, July and August. The Northwest is far more forgiving. Heat almost never an issue for more than a few days except during the hottest times of the year in Redding/Redbluff, CA, and Medford, Grants Pass and Roseburg, OR, on the I-5 or anywhere in the deserts of eastern Washington or Oregon in the summer. And, cold/snow only an issue at higher elevations away from the coast in November, December and January. The I-5 is rarely closed and if so usually at Siskiyou Pass between CA and OR. US-101 along the coast is open most of the time year round. Those are the two major north/south routes through the NW.