Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Transport

Default Motorcycle Transport

Anyone have experience with one of the many motorcycle lifts availabe that mount in the bed of pick up trucks ? I currently tow a Jeep Liberty but thinking about a truck so I could also transport my bike to POG III. Concerned a motorcycle lift/rack plus a 750 lb bike might be to much weight for a half ton truck. Any thoughts out there ?

99 Country Coach 45XL

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Gosh I wish we had a pic of our old setup.

Got a piece of about 6" wide aluminum channel and put it in the center of the bed (gate down) with removable bolts. Then used the same stuff for a ramp with two 2x6's for yer feet. Ride 'er up, tie it down and you are ready to rock. You can then store the ramp pieces alongside the bike. I used about six tie-downs, which is more than needed, but, well, y'know....

Jim,

At the Liberty rally there were two guys that had bikes in the bed of their pickups.

Both had electric racks that extended out and down until they were sitting level on the ground. When the bike was on them they raised up at the front and then retracted into the bed of the pickup. It was very impressive how easy it was to load and unload. Both were in 1/2 ton trucks.

I got to believe the motorcycle stores would have sources for this stuff.

Jeff, Im getting to old to load a bike on a 6 " channel with two ramps for my feet ! But there was a day ! Back when I was immortal. I am looking for a more secure way to transport these days.

Jon, Thanks for the feedback. Im glad to hear both trucks you looked at were 1/2 ton trucks. Im thinking the rack must weigh 200 to 300 lbs. My bike weighs 750 to 800 lbs. My concern is everytime I have looked at these units they require the tailgate to be down so part of the bike weight plus the rack can sit on the tailgate. We all know what happens when you move weight past the rear axel.

Jim,

Both were quad cab short bed and if I recall both had the tailgates off. I'm not real sure of that however.

If you want the tailgate closed a long bed will do it.

You are obviously not thinking big however. The trend is toward tri-axle double deck trailers thirty feet long so you can bring a car, a motorcycle or two, and a golf cart. All have to be painted to match the coach. Just bring lots of hundreds for the overlength citations that you will get if you draw attention to yourself by going faster than 62.5 MPH.

Toy Box can get you set up.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Don't listen to Jon about motorcycles. He still thinks Indian is in business.

Coupla things: First, Liberty Coach is likely to bring a couple of extra bikes to POG III for the bike-lacking folks.

Secondly, Blue Ox has a set up as you describe: http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/sportloader.htm The guy at Blue Ox who does the bike stuff is Art Boice, who was the founder of Overbilt.

So.

Thanks much for the referral Jon, but you give us much too much credit. Our trailer is only 28' long.!!!???? We do , however, usually cruise at 68.5 plus or minus 3 or 4 knots.

TB,

Notice I never said a word about the kind of cars and other goodies that Jim needs to fill that trailer with. I'll let you tell him about all that will fit in there.

68.5 is a ride on the wild side.

ken&ellen Guest

Cool Indian is still in business!

Jeff, Jon would be correct.....Indian opened a new world headquarters in Charlotte, NC in 2006! Ken & Ellen

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Yeah Well...

Jon is too busy polishing the inside of the pipes of the old Henderson he has stuck in the back of the grease pit to notice.

I think it is located just behind The Bubble Machine.

Um-Ah.