Thread: Generator Service on East Coast of FL

Default Generator Service on West Coast of FL

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on a dealer that can do a repair on a Kohler generator. I am planning to be on the West side of Florida for a trip soon. I'm having an issue with the high pressure fuel pump. In order to get it to start I have to give it a spray of Ether. Any help or referrals to a dealer or shop that you've had a good experience with would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Hey Tim isn't there a 12 volt electric fuel pump on a Kohler gen??

Did they finally build the replacement radiator for u?

What was the cost and turnaround time on that? I'm sure folks would be interested.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Ryan, the East coast of Florida is many 100’s of miles. How far south are you going? That will help narrow your search. David

Joe it looks like he many need a fuel pump, or have some type of filter clog in the supply. I think he is juts looking for someone to help identify the issue and correct it. Ryan, are you looking to get your hands dirty and try to get it done yourself, or just interested in getting it to a shop? Also same questions regardless do you have a specific destination planned, and what route will you be traveling? May help to narrow suggestions.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Hey Tim isn't there a 12 volt electric fuel pump on a Kohler gen??

Did they finally build the replacement radiator for u?

What was the cost and turnaround time on that? I'm sure folks would be interested.
    Yes there are 2 12V fuel pumps, but both are working ok. I had a local shop narrow it down to the high pressure fuel pump, but they couldn't help me any further than that.

To answer your radiator question, it was the radiator for the generator on the roof. As you know, too many pin holes in it to repair. A new radiator ended up taking around 6 months from ordering to delivery. It came out of California and was made to order. They did a great job. It took a couple hours to install but was a pretty straight forward DIY. If anyone needs more info don't hesitate to reach out.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Navy Chief View Post
    Ryan, the East coast of Florida is many 100’s of miles. How far south are you going? That will help narrow your search. David
    I'm planning to go down I-75. Staying 1 week in Ft. Meyers and another week in Naples.

Quote Originally Posted by Sc17842 View Post
    Joe it looks like he many need a fuel pump, or have some type of filter clog in the supply. I think he is juts looking for someone to help identify the issue and correct it. Ryan, are you looking to get your hands dirty and try to get it done yourself, or just interested in getting it to a shop? Also same questions regardless do you have a specific destination planned, and what route will you be traveling? May help to narrow suggestions.
    Scott
    I don't have a clogged filter, already checked that. When I had it looked at the tech was telling me the high pressure fuel pump was the problem. And that you need to know what you are doing when you install a new one or rebuild, not sure if this is something I want to get into myself. The tech also said it was critical to get the fuel pump timed to each cylinder correctly.

Ryan, sounds like you are going to be on the WEST coast of Florida. Southwest FL RV Servce just completed work on my coach. They are also a mobile service, came to me @ RiverBend Motorcoach resort just up the road from the shop on FL 80 just East of I-75. Call Scott @ 239 728-5055

If that's a Kubota engine, there's a lot of farm equipment places where you're headed. The fuel injection pumps are pretty reliable, but anything can fail.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Navy Chief View Post
    Ryan, sounds like you are going to be on the WEST coast of Florida. Southwest FL RV Servce just completed work on my coach. They are also a mobile service, came to me @ RiverBend Motorcoach resort just up the road from the shop on FL 80 just East of I-75. Call Scott @ 239 728-5055
    Yes, sorry I meant WEST coast, not East coast...thread title corrected. I will give Scott a call from Southwest FL RV . I am actually staying at RiverBend the last week of March so thank you for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    If that's a Kubota engine, there's a lot of farm equipment places where you're headed. The fuel injection pumps are pretty reliable, but anything can fail.
    Hi Gil, good to hear from you. Thanks for the info.

Tim & Jodi Ryan
    2009 Country Coach