Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US 50

Default US 50

When on Interstate 80 heading east from Reno or on 70 heading west at Grand Junction Colorado has anybody come across between those points on US 50 instead of using Interstate 80 my GPS tells me it's only about an hour's difference ( longer) in time and it's quite a few miles. It is lesser miles at a much slower estimated average. I'm going to take it regardless but I was curious if anybody's ever been through there.

it looks like it might be a fun Road. From The western Utah boarder going east there is 100 miles of no town no crossroad.

Actually looks like 50 pairs up with 70 but half way through Utah. So US 50 east from Reno through Nevada and Utah who's done that anybody?

My baby is out there just sitting and I can hear her calling she wants to go.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-20-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe prob 15 yrs ago I flew to Sacramento and drove a 79 Bronco from Chico back to OK I had bought off ebay. Without looking at an atlas I took HWY 50 at least into CO if I remember correctly. Was in a McDonalds morning of return trip, talking to an older couple about entire adventure. When I told them I was going 50 they said "You're going the Lonely (ist) Road?? Seems like I went thru Gunnison, and do remember Monarch Pass - it was icy.

Bought that truck for about $1600. Just sold it this summer to a classic dealer in CO for $11K. It's now on Hemmings for $22,900. It was a solid rust-free truck but needed interior work and paint to be a showpiece. Those things have certainly gone up in value.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 12-20-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

20201221_074513.jpg

Billy looks like the term was more than just an opinion. Its listed on the map.

20201221_075329.jpg

The routes that run north and south that run with the range along the rivers instead of going east to west that's the ticket! bet 305 there along the river is an amazing drive. 305 south from Battle Mountain between 80 and 50, 90 miles, no crossroad or town!!! What a wonderful way to social distance, through the windshields of these rigs!!

Get them out of the garage and go make some smoke.

G
    The map legend identifies unpaved roads as grey dotted lines. Look at the 70 miles or so of unpaved road down towards Dixie valley out of battle mountain down the Stillwater range. Bet u that would be an adventure.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-21-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Joe, I've used Highway 50 heading east out of Carson City into Utah in a coach a couple of times. Last time I ran that route was about 5 years ago, nice drive and uneventful. I plan on heading out that way again next year when we go Moab...good times!

In July of 1986, LIFE Magazine described Nevada’s Highway 50 as the “Loneliest Road in America.” The article said there were no attractions or points of interest along the original stretch of road and warned drivers not risk traveling the route unless they had “survival skills.” I have always wanted to drive it, but haven't had the chance. Some Day.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Hey Joe,

Becki and I did the section between Salina and Reno bout 8 years ago in a 43' Monaco Executive no problem.

We love back roads when we have time, been on a lot of them as we are very adventurous! US 2 from Idaho east was a ride.

Now towing a F350 with a little camper on it for doing adventures where the coach can't go.

Let us know how it goes!

John and Becki
    Stuart, FL

Hey you guys sounds like that was a good trip. After a little more research in a few conversations with people that led to the topic of altitude sickness I'm having second thoughts about where and how long I'm going to stay I don't know how I'm going to react to a campground at 10000 feet and I don't think I'm going to reserve one for more than one night in advance until I see how my reaction is a lot of people said it wasn't something I wanted to do. It was suggested that once you get north of 9,000 feet it becomes an issue I don't know I've never done it. All campgrounds around Eli are 8 to 12,000 feet
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-14-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

There does seem to be something magic about 10,000 feet. People that are susceptible to altitude issues have trouble that high. However, I have a lot of friends that do pretty well if they spend a couple of days at 5,000 to 8,000 feet on the way up. So if you go, just spend a couple of nights lower on the way up and you might be fine.

Also just watch your exertion level for the first day or two when you hit 10,000 and chances are you will be just fine.

For me, things are just amazing up that high and higher and I love being up there.

Unless you have underlying health issues, I say go for it!

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Hello Joe,
    I lived and worked in Nevada for 15 years and drove all those roads many, many times. Hwy 50 is definitely the better choice if you want to see Nevada. Interstate 80 is better if you just want to set the cruise and let it go. If you are interested I can put together a more detailed route or you are welcome to call me too.
    Regards,
    Mark
    775-842-0811
    1998 Marathon XL

Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 Marathon XL