Thread: 30 Amp Adapter

Default 30 Amp Adapter

Hello,

I will be dry camping at a theater I will be performing at in late march. 50 amp is not available but 30 amp would be. Weather is supposed to be very nice, so I won't be needing AC or Heat, just basic lighting, water pump, some appliances. Is is possible to plug into 30 amp service with an adapter allowing my batteries to keep charged so I utilize my Generator as little as possible?

I have a 98 Featherlight.
    Thanks

No problem. Just manage your loads and turn down your chargers. If you have Trace inverters, they will use inverter power to supplement the shore power.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

How do you turn down your chargers?

On your Trace inverter remote make sure it's on the main menu that will show on, off, search, and something else I can't recall. If it's not, push the button on the far right and the display will change to this. Now push the far left button and the display will change to shore power cord size and amperage setting. Turn both down to 10A when on 30A shore power.

This setting does not limit how much current your systems pull. You still have to manage your loads. This setting limits current being used by the charger AND when to supplement shore power with inverter power.

Gil and Durlene

There is a 30 amp 220V connection and a 30 amp 110V "camper" connection. I believe it is important to know which is which.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Les, I've never seen a 30A/240V outlet at a campground.

The typical 30A to 50A adapter cable takes the single 120V shore connection and bridges it to the two 120V connections on the 50A connector.

It is important to know that 30A service can not power any 240V appliances. For most Marathon owners, your Aux breaker panel will not be powered.

Gil and Durlene

I understand, Gil, but the original poster said "I will be dry camping at a theater".

The chances they have a 30 amp campground outlet might be the same as a 30 amp dryer outlet...

Just saying to be aware. I have a friend that plugged their new to them Class C into a 30 amp 220 volt outlet. Did not work out well....
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

Les makes a good point. Especially if some idiot wired the outlet. There is a standard so these mistakes don't happen. Of course, you never know who did the wiring.

https://goo.gl/images/uh3Phs

Gil and Durlene

I just noticed the last graphic didn't have the 30A RV outlet which is uniquely RV.

https://goo.gl/images/e4yAnm

Gil and Durlene