Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Brimmy

Default New Member Brimmy

Hi to all
    I have a 88 Prevost La Mirage that I purchased from a estate and want to have gone thru and some interior and system updates. I joined POG hoping the I could get some good info on any shops that you would recommend that does this kind of work and are dependable and trustworthy. Brimmy

Welcome from another newbie. You could do what I was advised to do. Contact JOE CAMPER listed on this forum, get on his list and he will (most likely) come to you. His phone # is in his signature.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Brimmy,

It really comes down to what kind if work you want. I see you're in NY. I don't know of any shops in that area. The recommendation to reach out to Joe Camper is a good one.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I appreciate the replies . I am good with mechanics but when it comes to nails my grandfather said I was like lighting never hit in the same spot twice. I am looking for a coach builder who will go thru the whole
    bus. I can get the bus where ever it has to go would prefer to find a shop not more than 500 miles away as then it becomes a long drive to check on progress. I am located near Port Jervis NY which is where NY NJ and Pa come together. So any input will greatly appreciated.

Hey Brimmy welcome to the asylum. You have a pre 90 you're definitely in the minority around here but that's okay I had an 84 and there 9/10 any Prevo conversion for a fraction of the price but they are getting old. It's great to hear you think you've got somebody in New York that you can count on. Don't hesitate to call me if you got somebody local thats convenient I'm okay with that and a lot of times I could probably give him some hints and clues and help give you some insight prior to a project.

Who's the converter how many miles are on it did you get any documentation with it does it have over the road air conditioning did you get the auxiliary 90 gallon tank with it. Bring us up to speed we need to know what's going on if we're going to help you spend your money.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe
    Thanks for your response. I am looking for a coach builder to go thru this coach and do some interior updates system updates and more. This coach was custom built for Philp Ortiz in 1989. Mr. Qrtiz was one of the best tow truck builders on the east coast. The bus has less than 100k and does run and drive. I have most of service records and original build info. Joe we have a lot in common. My personal favorite toy is 359 with a worked 400 big cam . I have a few 379s with 3406bs Es and my favorite 6nzs I am in the trucking and scrap metal business. I have lots of cat parts and road ranger trannys if you ever need parts. Can you help me get this bus built. BRIMMY

Brimmy ,
    Welcome and good luck with your coach. I was working in Port Jervis when the challenger blew up in 1986 or 87. Home to one of the coolest looking and most filmed pieces of road in the USA. Seems like they called it the eagles nest or something like that. Would be a great place to get a picture of your coach. It is cut into the mountain above the river that has one rock that all three state lines join up. I was on the crew that converted Continental Telephones central office from analog to digital. It had 35K lines back then. If you can ever get Joe Camper to check out your coach , you will be glad you did. Be safe and enjoy !

I need a back box for my 9 speed. With the speed limits at 75mph Im up around 1900 rpm to keep up without the overdrive. It would be nice to be able to shake it down to about 1550 I think the fuel mileage would pay for the back box in a couple of years with all the miles I drive.

Ive put quite a few custom floors in but I'm not a cabinate maker. I live in Chicago here where Liberty builds coaches. While redoing tabletops sourcing veneers for my XL I ended up at a supplier that they use. In addition to the wood veneers they also had all their laminates and also sell the unfinished cabinate carcass with those all important radiused corners. Most owners are unaware and I was suprised to learn while i was there the mirrored ceilings on Liberty is actually a metal laminate. It was a while ago but I could get u their info if u were interested.

As u start to get up close and personal with the chassis u r going to realize quite quickly how the many suttle differences all add up.

The E 6nz there is another pogger, Loc, he's got one too. He uses it for a hay buggy on the ranch. I like my B if I have fuel and I have air she will go. There is not a single sensor that can shut me down.

The bus............... you don't really realize exactly what you've gotten yourself into with the bus purchase YET but you will.

Proceed slowly do your homework these conversions don't use many off the shelf items to be the over the top campers that they are.

It's great to have u hear with us and u will fit right in. POG is an unlimited recource.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-10-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Gone Crazy
    Your thinking of the Hawks nest on rt 97 it over looks the Delaware river and D&H canal a great road for hot rods and motor cycles. Where the 3 states come together is called tri state where the Deleware and Neversink rivers come together. My business is 10 miles down rt 209 north in Cuddebackville dont blink or you will miss it.
    Joe
    You need to get rid of the 9 speed and get a 10 speed with a little higher gear ratio and your problem will be solved. I probably have 1. It sounds like I will have to start selling something to foot the bill on the prevost. Country Coach did the conversion on the bus in 1988. I don't have the time to do the work on this project and really want a honest reliable builder to do it. I have had the bus a few years hid in a barn and did put brakes bushings air bags and tires on it. I have built a few toys and they always take much longer than anticipated. The inside wont need a lot. I decided why give the kids the money I will build the bus and spend it all. The kids have nothing to worry about anyway with the new congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez she say you wont have to work and you can get paid. When I get the bus done I want to just ride around with my Deplorable hat on and if I have to leave town I can.

U should call a bus broker by the name of Phil Cooper he has records of every buisness conversation he has ever had, and he has been around a long time and knows many people. He may have a referral for u.

I would also try Staley coach, Libbey and Wayde. Both also been around a long time. They might know someone.

IMHO getting a cabinate maker that has history with prevo or at least doing buses is paramount if the finished product is of an acceptable level for a prevo conversion.

There's a place called music city coaches I dont remember the man's name or if they r even still around but he had an old gm that a guy did beautiful.

There was a pogger named Ben Wilmore he is a photographer a Google search will defiantly find him. He had a shop do a old GM for him too. That was only a few years ago.

The gadget guru is a active pogger and has an old GM find out who did his.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens