Thread: Detroit 60- time for an Overhead adjustment

Threaded View

The earlier 60 series had valve stem clips that were changed due to more clip failures than they were comfortable with. If u have one with the old original clips and u have 250000 miles u should do it, they would get changed to the newer better ones. Otherwise IMHO do good service take oil samples and push that decision off to 500000 miles. That perticular service is only as good as the guy with the feeler gauge and I'm always worried about that. I took a customer's bus to Stewart Stevenson in Houston to have that done and those guys are really really good shop they know what they're doing they put two guys on the bus that work good and the first time it wasn't right they had to take it all apart again and readjust them they had it a bit too tight. It took them two shots at it and these r guys that have done it before. just saying.

The bus I was babysitting was an H and you can get the valve cover off on an H without pulling the hatch XLs are definitely more difficult you either got to take the bedroom apart or you got to pull the engine
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines