Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For My Coach Tool Kit

Thank you for the great input everyone....and Truxton, now I know why they put that safe in the floor of my coach..

SAFETY Stuff , Like reflective triangles and flares , reflective vest , flashlights and spare batteries , first aid kit , spare ammo , enough canned and dried foods to last a couple of days.

I'd like to second that suggestion about Prevo P.A.S.S

If you've never used it or you were unaware of it you can get the number easily by Googling Prevo pass. Prevo excels at a whole bunch of stuff compared to the competition but nobody has customer service like pass. You can call them in an emergency or even a non emergency for information but please don't abuse it. They'll answer that phone 365 days a year 24/7 if you have your VIN number handy when you call you'll get an operator that will screen you with a few quick short questions and then you will be connected to a human being 365 days a year 24/7 and that person will be one of the seven or eight regional service managers that work for Prevo they rotate that Duty. If you know your way around your bus and you know how to use a Multimeter these guys all know your bus inttimately
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-15-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Ditto on Prevost PASS. Likewise, Marathon is great about answering calls. Other converters may be too, I just don't know.

Yes, belts and a 3/4" or 1/2" breaker bar so you can change the serpentine belt.

Definately an accurate tire pressure gauge. I seldom inspect a coach with proper tire pressure.

A good True RMS voltmeter. Even if you're not proficient in using one you can be talked through numerous troubleshooting procedures.

A hard copy of your electrical drawings for non multiplex coaches, even if you can't read them. If you get stuck somewhere they can help a local tech. The drawings can be downloaded for free from Prevost.

Definitely a spare 24V relay with protection diode. They aren't easy to find.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 02-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I am a new Prevost owner. But not to equipment or trucks. My first short trip I went threw my shop and tossed a few odds and ends in. I did have some boxes of goodies that came with the bus. Tons of relays, breakers, fuses and belts ect. What it didn't have was air line repair parts. So grabbed a box of compression sleeves off my shelf. Sure enough 2 hours into the trip with the help of rough Louisiana back roads a line blew in the steering compartment. I pulled over, shortened the line got a new compression sleeve. I was on my way in less than 10 minutes. I now have 10' of line and fittings for 1/4' --- 1/2 in my box. Just last Sunday I was at a fuel station and a truck pulled up loosing air. I ask what wrong. "I blew a 3/8 line" I asked if he wanted a union to fix it. He looked at me like I was crazy. The I open a bay door and handed him one. "No sir I don't want any money please help someone else one day".

I know not all the line are easy to get to. The spare parts don't take up any room. So they are in my tool kit.

John

Some people buy a Prevost to get dirty. Some buy a Prevost to stay clean. Since I don't know squat about mechanics, I fall in the latter category. This is my favorite tool and I only need three numbers:

1) Prevost PASS
    2) Converter
    3) Gil

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 9.53.22 PM.png

I love it!! That is my thoughts as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dthomas9572 View Post
    I love it!! That is my thoughts as well
    In all honesty, Gil has the first position on my speed dial list.

Siri, Call Gil!

Here's a list that was provided to my friend when he bought his coach by the seller:

If you're superstitious there's a lot of merit to the first line!

These are the things that I carry with me. I have a saying, if I have the part & tool to fix it, it won't break (LOL).
    • An assortment of automotive blade fuses (look through the coach & make sure you cover all types)
    • Spare belts (engine & generator)
    • Spare relays, both 12V & 24V for Prevost side
    • Spare Prevost Circuit breaker
    • Wire 12,14, & 18GA
    • Various electrical connectors
    • Spare light bulbs including headlight
    • Spare fuel filters (engine & generator)
    • Spare fuel pump for generator
    • Spare wiper blades
    • An assortment of DOT air fittings
    • An assortment of air lines 1/4,3/8,1/2
    • An assortment of heat shrink tubing
    • An assortment of nuts screws, and bolts
    • I also carry spare engine sensors (Coolant Level, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Press, Turbo Boost)
    • Sensors for Aqua Hot (there are 3)
    • Spare throttle (Mine is a Williams)
    • Spare relays for interior lights
    • Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Rescue Tape
    • Batteries for remotes & smoke detector
    • Spare plastic latches
    • Can of R-134 for dash A/C
    • Assortment of Tie wraps
    • Assortment of hose clamps
    • Extra Shore Cord 25'
    • Shore cord adaptors 20/30/50
    • pop rivets

Tools:

• Good selection of hand tools up to 1.5"
    • Drill
    • Test Meter
    • Soldering Iron
    • Pop rivet gun
    • Tire Pressure Gauge
    • 2-20K lbs Jack Stands
    • 20 Ton Jack (should be one in bus)
    • Tap & Die set
    • Laser Temp gun
    • Flashlights
    • Funnel
    • Small 12/24V Battery Charger
    • Air hose
    • Air Booster/Doubler

Fluids/Lubricants:

• Engine oil (at least 1 Gal)
    • Engine Coolant (at least 1 Gal)
    • PS Fluid
    • 1 Gallon Clean Diesel Fuel
    • Super Glue
    • Wood Glue
    • Thread sealer
    • Locktite (Blue & Red)

I also carry a couple of the cheap Tyvec painter overalls. That way if I need to crawl under the coach or in the engine bay I can stay clean. I also have a couple of sets of cheap white sheets that I bought at Walmart to cover the interior if I need to have a mechanic inside. Probably missing a few things, but this gets you off to a good start!

Dave, what a list! I'm betting you'll wish you had a filter wrench to replace those fuel filters ;-)

We can carry as much or as little as we want. In either case we'll likely need that small part not carried.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion