Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For My Coach Tool Kit

Truxton I don't have those kind of Lew bucks SO....... I never go camping anywhere anytime with out a fully loaded 1 ton service truck for a toad and that works well. However, if I had some of yer doe id probably leave at lease the welder behind.

My advice on tools is get a good starter set and build on it. A guy can never have too many tools.

Hey Bernie I just went back and looked at your picture and there's not one stinking Ben Franklin in the whole stack what's up with that the whole wad should be Benjamin's very disappointed. There is a bunch of 5s and 10s half the wad is singles what the hell you going to do with that.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-13-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

20180315_132532.jpg

Here is a wad worthy of a sufficient prevo saftey net, maybe and JUST maybe.

Sheesh where we're u headed with that fist full of singles, the ice cream parlor??
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

The questions was tools, you can buy a 32 piece set of tools for 29 bucks at Home Depot. The Prevost tools for sale sold out a long time ago. If the question was for a higher valued item we would of given him the full effect of the WAD.

Now, don't you have something to do like cutting the grass instead of smoking it?

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Touche. Let the record show we pulled two posts out of the guy on the same day. No small feat.

And I am a gardner, weed pickers international type. Smoke we dont
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I carry a basic took kit with a variety of basics. Since they are really for those emergency situations to fix a cablnet latch I buy a consumer level. A whole kit is less then 75 bucks with carry case at Home Depot. Add a wratchet set, (25 bucks). A hammer drill 49 bucks. Bit set. 15 bucks. Driver set 15 bucks and I am set on tools. It is amazing how on every trip there are minor things that pop up and without the tools available it can get very frustrating.

I also keep a tire air gauge and try to ck tire often. Not tools, but having engine oil, Antifreeze saves that trip to the store on the road.

I alway keep a little giant ladder in the bay..they are compact and when ever I need to get on the roof of the coach or trailer, it saves the day. Last thing is flex tape. This stuff is amazing and if you have a roof leak on the coach or bus, it is a super quick fix. Seals it until you can get in to address the real issue.

Joe is soon on with list above. the basic supplies on hand save that trip to the home depot

Just my thoughts

I've been sitting here waiting for someone to say ( what should I carry) to keep me moving.

All the tools in the world you carry don't do didly if you don't have the parts to do the job. A basic set of of home depot tools mentioned is all that you need. Whatever you take is your choice but I guarantee you the longer your out there the less stuff you will take. You will be more selective.

Anyones biggest fear should be getting stranded in the middle of no where, shutdown unable to move. You want to avoid the hook at all costs, it's a last resort except for catastrophic failure.

You need to think about what can I carry that I am able to fix on the side of the road that will keep me running. There are a few minor things you can take that will give you piece of mind. These are some of the things I carry that maybe you can relate to.

Most people have pre multi plex wiring in their buses so a couple 12v and 24v relays is good to carry.

Extra fuel filters if you buy fuel from mom and pa places, you will get bad fuel and also a 1/2 gallon carry cont with fuel in it so you can change out a filter, also a filter wrench.

Extra set of belts which could be 5 to 7 belts depending on your set up.

Hot side 500 degree turbo hose.

Look at the back of your engine and buy the hoses you could change and have access to if they blew or from napa a couple hose connectors where you could cut the hose and piece it in and extra clamps. Napa has 1/2, 5/8 connectors which saved my ass climbing a hill in NM.

Tires, most of us are to old to sling tires anymore so watching pressure and carrying and IR heat gun can save your ass if you don't have a pressure monitoring system. Use the gun when your taking a break walking around the bus looking for abnormal readings.

You carry water onboard and have oil too.

The biggest thing is if something happens is to stay calm and think! I get frequent calls from guys and their in a tizy, stay calm. It's usually something stupid we can figure out.

Remember most things that go wrong are 99% self inflicted, let common sense be your guide.

Oh I forgot, try and have fun.

These views are my opinion and some may add to it or dispute it.

Again I forgot the most important thing, Chicken wire.

This is the most I've written in 8 years so my time is up.

Later
    bv
    Last edited by truxton; 02-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

When I replied I was referring to the tools I need for my skill level. I am not mechanically inclined and more the exchanging fuses, fixing a latch is out of my league. When on the road I have always needed basics tools.

My consultant early on made me a list to carry...Spare Solonoids, Spare belts, fuel filter, oil filers (he said a rock could damage it) in the back engine compartment there are three rubber tubes. Road service can change easliy but probably wouldn't have the part. I always carry a spare 315 tire in the bay. All fluids and oils the bus needs.

I forget the rest he recommended , but I have them safely stored. If anything happened I would call road service and hopefully they can get me on the road. I only drive in the mornings never evening or night so safety is less of an issue then being broken down at night. If worse happens, then call the tow truck and hope I am within 100 miles of the service place that AAA will allow.

The main thing I do is get a DMI every year from Prevost and fix everything they recommend, hopefully issues rarely arrive.

I wasn't singling you out but I'm glad you feel comfortable in relying on road service for your support.

Good luck.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Many good suggestions above. My list will be somewhat abbreviated. 40' with bus air, 3 crusairs upfront - I have 1 full storage bay and a couple drawers in curbside battery bay. Not much room overall considering 4 large rubbermaid style containers already (electric cords/adapters, sewer hoses, oil,coolant etc, freshwater hoses). I've considered the spare tire idea but no room. I could always bungee cord it to the front bumper .

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Not exactly tool related however Prevost PASS has saved me lots of headaches over the time I have had buses. A multi-meter and some spare wire they can walk you through a lot of headaches. I carry all of the belts and filters (so any mom and pop truck place can do the job with my spares). Tool wise the basics discussed above and everything needed if a hose or belt breaks that I can handle on the side of the road.

2001 h3-45 Superbus