Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For My Coach Tool Kit

Default Recommendations For My Coach Tool Kit

About to take our first trip in our new to us 2005 Marathon Coach. I want to put together a tool kit to handle any issues that may arise. Does anyone have any specific recommendations that they have so that I don’t end up saying “I wish I had brought XXX’?

Thanks in advance!

money.jpg
    Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

I came into this eyes wide open. I got that. Anything else? Any 15 year old Prevost is better than a brand new box on a chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by MLJR View Post
    I want to put together a tool kit to handle any issues that may arise.
    I'm new here, and in no position to be dishing out advice on what tools to bring specific to a Prevost. I do have a reasonable amount of experience with other RVs, including our Bluebird, which is somewhat akin to a simpler (and honestly not as high quality) Prevost. I also am fortunate to have a good amount of professional experience that helps in this category also. My .02C-

First off, you won't be able carry enough tools for every issue that may arise without carrying a trailer full of tools and parts. So my advice (again, not worth much) is to do this:

!) Pick some likely categories of things and prepare for basic troubleshooting of them.
    2) Keep your experience in mind when deciding what to bring. For example, A multi meter isn't going to do much good unless a fella truly knows how to use it.
    3) A basic hand tool set. Screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches and such.
    4) A hammer. Always bring a hammer. Probably a big one.
    5) Tape.
    6) What these other guys that actually know what they are talking about say....

You don't know what kind of tools to take with you but now your comparing buses.

If you don't like the joke say so but trust me no buddy on here gives a shit if you got a new bus or a 15 year old one.

Leave the attitude at the door.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Truxton,

i didnt take take any offense to your joke. It was actually a funny reply. I was just trying to move on and get some more answers. This is why texting and written communication isn’t always the best. When you can’t see someone’s face or hear their voice inflection and tone , sometimes people can’t here what your trying to say. Anyway. I was not offended and I hope you weren’t.

I am following this thread also - interested in responses. Just about spit my coffee all over the computer at the fistfull of dollars. That was funny. Obviously completely new to Prevost. My experience doing years of traveling in a four wheeler is my traveling toolbox grew steadily over the years to the point of being almost unmanageable and too heavy. In nearly 20 years only really needed it twice on same van, but sure was nice to have.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Forget big, heavy mechanics tools as most of us couldn’t do such repairs on the side of the road anyway and big mechanical items are seldom going to fail. So, most of what you will attempt to troubleshoot and fix on the road are going to be related to the house systems (heat, plumbing, electrical and entertainment).

No matter who did the conversion, they used a bazillion screws, many of them to hold the various compartment panels in place. You will likely need to remove them to get at whatever you are trying to fix. Same on the inside. I find a small screw gun very handy. For this purpose my preference is the Milwaukee M12 as it and the batteries are small and easy to get into tight spaces. A kit of driver bits is easy to store and will insure you have all the different ones you will need. Pick up a right angle fixture to help reach those awkward spots. Add a kit of drill bits and some sort of M12 LED light and you are set. Wide channel locks will also come in handy.

truth be told I actually carry a full set of M12 tools (drill, multi-tool, “Dremel” style tool, jig saw, resip saw, inspection scope, buffer) and three different LED lights (long range spot, wide angle flood and utility) along with an assortment of bits/blades for each tool stored in snap lid clear plastic containers. At one time or another I have used them all. The multi-tool is especially handy in a motorcoach. All these tools plus extra batteries store in one drawer in my tool bay and don’t weigh all that much. Since I design and hand craft fine furniture for a living I am not shy about tackling any interior based projects on the road.

Another item of great help is a good selection of professional tapes. Do not waste your time with cheap hardware store or HF stuff. What you want is electrical tape from an electrical supply store in black, red and green colors, a small roll of quality US made “duct” tape and the smallest roll of heavy aluminum foil tape you can find. A couple of rolls of “rescue” tape and one role of Teflon tape will round out your on-the-road tape needs. Rescue tape is silicone tape with no adhesive that stretches and sticks to itself. A few wraps around will temporarily secure many plumbing problems including pin hole leaks in hoses. It is also a good electrical insulator for heavy wire like battery cables.

I also recommend a small bottle of “captan Tully’s creaping crack filler”. This is a liquid latex solution that will flow into many pesky small low pressure leak areas and seal them until you can do a permanent repair. If you ever encounter any kind of water intrusion issues on the road you will thank your lucky stars for having this stuff along. It can get to places you can’t. Look for it at marine supply stores.

finally, get one bottle of Triflow with a long straw spout built in from a bicycle store and one can of a quality penetrating oil like Kroil. Those will serve all your on-the-road lubricating needs.