Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All you Florida centric guys should try the beaches in Mexico

Default All you Florida centric guys should try the beaches in Mexico

Those of us on the west coast enjoy the banter about the events discussed taking place in FL this time of year. But, often this banter makes it sound like FL is the center of the Prevost universe. Nope, right now the center of the Prevost universe is Puerto Penasco, Sonora, MX! After all there are a grand total of three Prevost coaches at Playa Bonita RV park right now enjoying sun rises and sun sets that rival the very best found in FL. We are right on the beach and enjoyed the blood moon last night. Sardines have come back into the bay here after years of being fished out (same story at Monterey, CA) so it is fun to see those boats out along side the shrimp boats. How about a Prevost-fest here next winter?! After all, just because there are a bazillion Prevost coaches in FL and only three here doesn’t mean you should get all the fun........

ok, now I will remove my tongue from my cheek(grin)!

Where do I sign up?

Jerry,

I assume you have to get Mexican insurance, unlike Canada. If so, I sure worry about coverage if you need to use it. How's security?

I have a friend that moved there due to the cost of living. He lives in a walled and gated community and loves it. Of course, it can't hurt waking up to a view of the Gulf every morning.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

You do have to buy MX liability insurance but that is easily available on line and only costs a couple of hundred for a year. Many US collision/comp policies will cover in MX but check with your carrier to be sure. Safety is not an issue here. This is a very popular MX beach community. Winter is too cold for many of the MX regulars who own homes and condos but much warmer than our northern tier so attracts snow birds like us. The locals depend on tourist trade so everyone from the Mayor on down to the beach walkers looking to sell whatever do their best to make you feel comfortable and safe. There are even tourist helpers paid for by the city to come to the aid of a tourist in need. Green Angles patrol the highway from the US to lend assistance if needed.

Need paint or fading issues fixed? Amazing what these guys can do right in the RV park with base coat-clear coat redos. Last year a new early 2000s Prevost owner had them redo many of the decorative and trim paint areas. Not show room quality, but looked a lot better than when it came in. They will do upholstery, systems and appliances right on your spot if you like. A few years ago I blew a power steering hose on one of my 1970s Restored GMC Motorhomes - the swoopy front wheel drive ones made from 73 to 78. Two kids in a pick up removed the hose, disappeared for a few hours and returned with what looked like a new one. They reinstalled it in no time. Total bill? Under $150 including a nice tip.

we look out over the Sea of Cortez from the west coast of the mainland.

Jerry,
    Sounds rather intriguing. What is the road like south of the US border and how busy is the crossing? I have a buddy that used to take his Kingsley coach down into the baja to race trucks, and he never had any problems. I just have always been a little leery about Mexico...….
    Swanee
    1995 Country Coach XL40
    "Everyone dies, but not everyone lives."

Jerry
    couldnt agree more, we love Rocky Point, although with the Prevost now we prefer more room at the Reef,
    certainly closer from Tucson than Fla.

Pictures pictures. I want to see how everybody decorates their campsites Im always looking for new ideas and inspiration to compare so I can get some kind of an idea how far out of whack I am.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-10-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Throw your best picture out there of a sunrise or a sunset or a palm tree at the ocean let's see who's got the best one.

Do you have to go through California to get where u r at?

What would it cost down there for three or 4 months? Beginning of December through the end of March or a better question would be what months do you go down there cuz if I ever did that I wouldn't be going without a tour guide the first time.

See what you've gotten yourself into.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Not sure how to post pics but will try later today.

We cross the border at Lukeville, AZ, just south of Organ Pipe National Monument. Small crossing that you often just get waved through. Adhere closely to the speed limit while in the Mexican side town of Sonoita. From there it is about 60 miles on a very good paved road to get to Puerto Penasco, Sonora. If you want to stage or meet up with others before crossing, Why, AZ or Ajo, AZ towns are good over night spots 30 or so miles from Lukeville. There are no overnight facilities at Lukeville.

We stay at Playa Bonita RV Park. Cost is dependent on which site you get. Beach front is just under $800/mo all in, ocean view a $100 or so less and the rest of the park a bit less than that. Daily rates are that divided by 30. Reservations by mail only. The RV Park address is a Lukevill, AZ address that you can find on their web site. You can get 50 amps for $20 (to change the plug on the post) for as long as you stay up to a month. Not clear whether you need to pay another $20 for a second or subsequent months. There is another full hookup RV park a few miles further up the beach called The Reef. Another one near by has no services and costs something like $10 a night.

we usually come Jan 15 and leave Mar 15. The whole place is full of Americans and Canadians from October through March.

Jerry

A couple more things to add.

The park was built for up to 40 foot rigs. There are a couple of places where you can stuff a 45, but it is tight. Don’t expect to get beachfront spots as they are usually reserved up to two years in advance. But, there seems to be no rhyme or reason why who gets what spot. You can only reserve space in the,park, not specie spaces. You get what you get the day you arrive. There are no bad spots and the beach is only a few steps away no matter where you are. Weather is warm but not hot this time of year. Generally 60s in the day time and 50s at night. Wind may kick up at times just like beaches everywhere. Seldom over 20 mph.

Water is good all over town so no issue washing veggies or brushing teeth. Most prefer to drink bottled water. Lots of restaurants with great food and reasonless prices. Same for motels and condos for rent. Grocery store food is cheap and very good, especially the veggies. Exchange rate is around 18 pesos to one US dollar. Good medical facilities, a pharmacy on every street corner with same drugs in same boxs at a fraction of the US price. Many come here for dental procedures as they too are a fraction of the cost with docs and dentists trained at US medical and dental schools and many certified by the same US bodies as thier counterparts in the states.

not trying to sell anything here, just reporting our good experiences over many years