Thread: Headlight wiring help please

Default Headlight wiring help please

I have a 2002 H3-45 Featherlite with the old 4X6 head lights. Recently I changed these lights out with 4X6 LED fixtures. Everything works as it should but the low beams are not enough light for me. The way these fixtures work, there is a high and low beam in each fixture. In low beam a few of the bulbs light up and in high beam they all light up. The wire harness for these lights consist of three wires, Ground, Lo beam,and a High beam. My question is, could I run a jumper wire connecting both the High beam and low beam wire an make all of the bulbs burn all the time on that low beam bulb?

Thanks,
    David

It's easy to wire all 4 low beams and it's just as easy to wire all 4 high beams. If the high beams don't turn on the low beams, then you'll have to put a blocking diode between the high and low beam power feed. You may be able to do the same with the high beam relay. If you don't all 8 will be on regardless if you high or low beam selected.

I would normally be concerned about wire gauge, fuse ratings, and relay ratings. None should be a concern with LEDs.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

When the bright lights go on, all of the light bulbs in all for lights light up. On low beam only a select few LED bulbs light up in the two Low beam lamps. Would this still have a need for the Diode you mentioned? I have very little electrical knowledge is why I ask.

David

No, no need for a diode. Simple extend the low beam wire from one light to the adjacent light on each side. Just know you might experience a lot of people flashing their high beams at you when they see 4 headlights on.

Gil and Durlene

Gil,

Each of the light fixtures has a hi and low beam. On high beam, all four fixtures light up and all of the LED lights come on. In lo beam, only the two low beam fixtures light up and only half of the bulbs in those two fixtures light up. I am wanting all of the bulbs in the low beam fixtures to stay on all of the time. That is why I was asking if could tie the high and low beam wires on the back of the low beam bulb together to make all of the bulbs in the low beam fixture to light up all the time. Clear as mud I know.

David

I thought I got it. Wire all low beams together. Do nothing to the high beam wiring.

Gil and Durlene

Thanks Gil

Just install the new DOT approved headlight from JW speaker, local KW dealers stock them. I installed them and I can't believe how good they are. We are using them in our commercial trucks as well as it is a huge improvment in saftey. Great product, worth every penny!

They even have heated and none heated models with automatic temp controller.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/

JW Speakers makes great lights!

Gil and Durlene

I second the JW Speaker lights on older coaches with 4x6. I can now see at night

2001 h3-45