Thread: Transmission fluid levels?

Default Transmission fluid levels?

I did do a search on this subject and most of the threads are many years old. So I checked my transmission fluid level today and the dip stick is completely cover with fluid with a cold engine. On the last trip I did check the levels using the arrows on at the controls and the controls indicate that levels were OK. Temps usually run 200-210 deg. It just seems very odd that the dip stick shows way over full. What are you guys and gals doing to check your transmission fluid levels?

David Barclay
    2002 Feathelite H3-45

Allison recommends we rely on the shift pad. Using the shift pad or dipstick requires the coach to be on a level surface. FWIW, I don't think I've ever used the dipstick.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

It's very very difficult to get a reading with the dip stick. Go by what the computer says for sure. On the 8v there's a plug on the side of the trans to get a for sure level on the 5 speeds.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Be sure you’re at operating temperature and not on high idle for the shift pad check.
    Tom
    04 Marathon H3, 831

The good news is if you're on high idle or not at the correct temperature the shift pad will warn you and will not display the fluid level.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 01-07-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks for the reply's, just goes against the grain to have a dip stick that show way over full...

David

Most auto trans unit drain fluid out of the torque converter while parked raising the level in the pan higher than it will be while driving. That is why the coach must be on a level surface idling in neutral warm before the dip stick will provide a reliable indication of level. The shift buttons give a more reliable indication.

jerry
    Jerry Work
    Kerby, Oregon
    1997 Prevost Country Coach
    40 foot, no slides, 100k miles
    Now after one year 110k miles