Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Glass care

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I've been using steel wool for years.

It will also prolong the life of an older windshield with no cracks. If you manage to go long enough on one older windshield.they get "sandblasted" by road stuff over time. Regular intervals of Steel wool on the windshield also keeps that slite pitting that occures with regular road wear over time.

If you have BIONIC vision window wax will remove whatever slight scratches that you MIGHT see

jim,if it is fine enough it will work fine,i am always on the conservative side with glass,once you have created a problem it is very hard to fix it.jack

To all who have contributed to this thread:

You have now spent five pages worrying about water spots on a piece of glass that will be dusty 5 minutes after you have resptored its original condition.

Winchester will be soon handing out new anal awards and you guys are in a fierce battle for the top award with Helen Raymond who cleans lint out of her dryer vent.

When the award has been made, let me know. I'll be cleaning the inside of my valve stem caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    When the award has been made, let me know. I'll be cleaning the inside of my valve stem caps.
    Jon, would those caps be the ones with the Air Pressure Valves built in them, or the ones on the opposite side of the rim, for actually filling the tire with air?

Gary S

jim,have you tried the cerium yet?jack

Unhappy Glass/water spots/solutions

Well, I've tried the Steel wool 0000. That did not solve my problem. It appears what I am seeing has something to do with the Tinting of my Side Windows. It appears it is not a surface issue. I will be speaking with Liberty and Prevost about this issue. I did order some cleaner from Wipe Out. However , he is on the road and I have not been able to connect with him yet. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, Sorry to hear the 0000 steel wool didnt work.

Jack, The problem seems to still be challenging me also. I think the spots on my windows are perhaps from well water that dried and baked on in the sun. I dont think it is in the tint like Gary suspects. A mixture of NuGlass, Cerium and steel wool seems to remove the spots from the trial corner areas of some of the windows. Very messy. The problem is I have been afraid to do an entire window using steel wool. Jack, what type of cerium mixture do you suggest ? Should it be a paste consistency ? Perhaps 50 % NuGlass and 50 % Cerium. Is Cerium used to cut and clean or is it a polish ?

Also the same spots were on the Stainless but I was able to buff them out with a buffer and Stainless steel compound followed by a polish then Rejex.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

jim,cerium is a polishing compound,as far as mixture goes i would guess no more than 50% cerium in the mix.i had water spots that seemed to be baked on the windows(the dark tinted side ones) it took me about 4 hours per window to eliminate the spots,and i think it was worth it.sorry it took me so long to reply,but i was without the computer for several days.jack

Lightbulb More Questions

Jack, since there still seems to be an issue with the spot removal I was wondering about a few things that might shed a little light on the subject.
    CO= Cerium Oxide.
    When you are using the CO in your work what exactly are you setting out to accomplish? What is the medium/carrier of the CO. By what method is the CO applied to the glass? That is, what kind of wheel is used, it's composition if you will? Is/are the wheel/wheels in a horizontal table setup where the work is flooded in a shielded environment. Are you using a special dedicated machine, or is the work done by a handheld buffer for spot repairs? How much pressure is applied to the buff against the work, if in fact it is a buff? How long does your process take say per square foot? Is your polishing wheel running circular or in an orbital motion?
    I hope you can shed some light on what seems to be a common and persistent problem. Thanks in advance! JIM

jim,the co is used in polishing and cleaning applications,it is mixed with water into a slury ,it must be mixed continously or it will fall out of suspension.in our beveling operation it is pumped onto a 6 or 7 inch synthetic felt wheel which has about 20 psi of air pressure,the cerium slurry returns to the tank.this operation is the final step in beveling which polishes the bevel.in our mirror manufacturing process we use it in a slurry also as the cleaning agent,we also mix another product with it which is ground quartz crystal(ground like flour) this is applied to the glass then the glass goes under oscilating brushes then rinsed with city water,then under a cylinder brush,then rinser with di water.these steps clean the glass and prepare it to accept the silver.i hope i answered your questions.jack